Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:32:42 AM

Author Topic: Router not cutting smoothly  (Read 6525 times)

Router not cutting smoothly
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »
I was wondering if someone could help me with a question. I watch videos of people, running Mach, and are able to cut circles and other shapes with arcs smoothly with no hesitation in thier cutting. I am using Artcam with a Mach 2 (inch) postprocesser. I have it set to CV. Not sure what else to try. Thanks, Andy.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Router not cutting smoothly
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Andy,

Could you Zip and attach a sample of your GCode ??

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:08:40 AM »
Here is a sample of some circles.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »
Hi Andy,

Your GCode circle consists of straight lines - you will get smoother movements if your toolpath is created using Arcs. (see attachment)

Check the CAD/CAM software that you are using to create the toolpath and select the Arcs option.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »
Artcam does have an option to create in arcs, but the PP will not allow it to create the Gcode w/ arcs. I tried it both ways, (W/ and W/o arcs), and there is no change in the final code.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »
Hi Andy,

That surprises me - if Artcam has a Mach3 Arcs post processor then it should create arcs, unless of course you are importing a .dxf circle (or similar) rather than one created within Artcam.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:57:25 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »
That is the problem, Artcam has no Mach 3 arcs PP. It has a Mach 2 inch and mm PP. In CAD, the objects are created using arcs, it just doesnt post Gcode with arcs. I was sent a PP by a fellow CNC'R that I am going to try tonight. It all runs smooth in simulation so i'll give it a try.Thank you for your help. Andy

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 11:58:44 AM »
Andy,

Try the Artcam Mach2 Arcs pp.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »
There isn't one. Only A Mach2(inch), and a Mach2(mm).

On a side note...You, Tweakie, are the reason I am spending every waking hour of free time working on my CNC. The things you have done are truely an inspiration to thoes of us who want to do more than just cut signs on our routers and mills. My biggest issue I have is after I FINALLY figure out somthing new to try, (Tangential cutting, Laser etching, 4th axis stuff etc...) I have no real need for it and end up looking for something new to try. Please continue to give me something to shoot for. Thanks, Andy

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 01:51:17 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Hi Andy,

Perhaps someone else, who uses Artcam, can chime in on this one but it seems inconceivable that a Mach 2/3 Arcs post processor is not available.

Have you tried contacting Artcam to ask them ??

Tweakie.

PEACE