Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:41:38 AM

Author Topic: PC keyboard issue  (Read 2903 times)

PC keyboard issue
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »
I am using a French AZERTY keyboard on my PC instead of a QWERTY

This keyboard works well with Notepad or Word, not with Mach3 :
- only the NUM numbers are recognized
- the decimal point is not recognized nor on the NUM keys nor on the main keyboard
- the numbers on the top of the keyboard are not recognized.

Is there a special set-up enabling to manage specific keybaord on Mach 3 ?

Regrads, Philippe

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: PC keyboard issue
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:08:57 AM »
As far as I know you really need to use UK or USA settings for the keyboard for it to function fully.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:30:52 AM »
Hood,

this is not really satisfactory for a product that has a world-wide potential.

Anyway, I have found a trick for non QWERTY keyboards :
- I use the jog (TAB key) to manipulate X Y Z directions with a click, as Arrows and PgUp PgDown do not seem to work work with my Azerty keyboard
- I use the NUM numeric keyboard in order to enter figures and eventually the decimal point. Input of Gcode also works this way.

Note for non Qwerty users : it seems that Mach3 forces the use of some kind of Qwerty at start-up. When Mach3 is opened, you just need to select and click on your specific keyboard on the Taskbar (below your screen on the right hand side) and do as above.

Thanks, Philippe

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 07:36:43 AM »
Dont shout at me, its not my fault ;D

You can set whatever keys you wish to for jogging so I think you could easily set the Pg Up/Dn keys, do it from Config menu then System Hotkeys.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 04:54:25 AM »
Dear,

I have found a better solution and a "feature" of Mach3

I have two keyboard definitions on my PC : US Qwerty and French Azerty. For one or another reason, Mach3 loads the US Qwerty keyboard as it starts, even if I was working with French Azerty before, say using Windows Explorer. Usually Microsoft applications like Word or other, including freeware, do respect your initial keyboard set-up.

The solution is to start Mach3, load your keyboard of choice, press RESET. All input field work so far I can see with all required characters and signs, on all Mach3 screens, including the software jog. A "real" jog is also working fine without any tweak. You can always check which keyboard is being used on left hand side of your Microsoft Windows toolbar.

The only strange thing :  if you are looking at the "Diagnostic" screen and you press the "Go to Home" key with the jog, a Windows Explorer window pops-up. On other screens, like "Program Run", no issue, homing works perfectly. I am happy that this "feature" is a minor issue and I can live with.

Regards, Philippe