Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:12:30 AM

Author Topic: Questions 1st Aluminum Cut Sample  (Read 12772 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Questions 1st Aluminum Cut Sample
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 07:48:31 AM »
Generally if you are selecting a series of shapes (pockets etc) that are going to receive the same machining technique. Though MC might choose the start point and will have a default entry/lead in style. In my understanding which is very little MC is very professional software. I am sure both values are selectable and variable. These are common and accepted practices.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Questions 1st Aluminum Cut Sample
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 08:30:04 AM »
Sorry Gerry but now I got it. The toolpath I used is a contour type 2D (default) but within this type there are a few options which I never bothered to investigate. If I click the type button I have a choice of 2D, Ramp, Depth or Plunge etc and of course a few more parameters to set for each type which are too complicated for me right now. As I said I still learn about this program.

I will have to experiment with the Ramp type to see which settings for the ramp angle and depth are good for me before I use this toolpath. Looks like a very interesting toolpath and thanks for the tip

You are right Fastest1, probably there is such a setting which I don’t know it right now. The manual is 800 pages thick and I haven't even scratched the surface of it. Yes MC looks like an excellent CAD/CAM program but since I don’t own it, I just have access to use it for my hobby projects, makes it kind of difficult to learn it properly
Nicolas

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »
I am so glad you found those parameters. They will make your results so much better. I didn't and don't expect you to understand MC fully as very few probably do. I have looked at a version or 2 of MC but it was alien to me, I started with BobCad and am now using CamBam too. They each have their little differences in use but likely can accomplish the same or similar results. Progress is being made on your part and soon your results, enjoyment and tool life will all improve. Keep posting as we will all learn.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
Thru a friend who is knowledgeable with Mastercam I found an alternate way to cut my squares which seems more efficient but requires an extra step which is not a big deal

First I run the simulation to see where my toolpath starts and then I create a point at the start of the cut.

Then I create a new toolpath just to drill an oversized hole at this point, set my Lead-in, and now I run both toolpaths and you can see the results on the attached picture.

Now the tool descents into the hole (on the picture the hole is well oversized for illustration purposes) and does all the cuts using the only the sides of the endmill
Nicolas

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »
There are many ways to skin a cat. You are performing a separate drilling op? Though that is a very acceptable method. I can't figure out why you don't ramp into the part. It would minimize the tool change. Sorry I spoke before looking at the attachment. It looks like the tool is going to depth and then a circular lead in, and a circular lead out is being used. That is what I was referring to a while back. It is starting the cut in the scrap side.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 12:40:59 AM »
Actually its a helical entry and not a drilling op to easy out the plunge and I was told that this method is better than ramp. I'm waiting for my new center cutting end mills and then I will give it a try. I also plan to do a sample with the ramp and compare.
Nicolas

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »
Both ways are very good at improving cut quality. Definitely try both ways. It is surprising the difference in results, especially small mills not Bridgeports and the like.