Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:19:26 PM

Author Topic: Blue Screen of Death  (Read 6903 times)

Blue Screen of Death
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:25:09 PM »
Well, just got my operating system and Mach3 reinstalled after I encountered the dreaded "Blue Screen of Death". Like a dummy, I didn't record my Mach3 settings last time and it's been over a year since I've had to do this. I'm recording everything this time though. My problem is that my machine is apparently moving in metric instead of inches. I told Mach to move it 1" and it only moved 1/4". I thought my steppers sounded funny. I set the inches first thing. It still is saying it's in inches, but if it moves 1/4 of that, isn't that in metric? I'm running the 305 steppers from Hobby CNC and 10 single start screws.
Thanks Mike 
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com
Re: Blue Screen of Death
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »
Well, just got my operating system and Mach3 reinstalled after I encountered the dreaded "Blue Screen of Death". Like a dummy, I didn't record my Mach3 settings last time and it's been over a year since I've had to do this. I'm recording everything this time though. My problem is that my machine is apparently moving in metric instead of inches. I told Mach to move it 1" and it only moved 1/4". I thought my steppers sounded funny. I set the inches first thing. It still is saying it's in inches, but if it moves 1/4 of that, isn't that in metric? I'm running the 305 steppers from Hobby CNC and 10 single start screws.
Thanks Mike 
of it were in metric it would have moved much smaller distance, I'm thinking your steps per unit needs attention or you have scaling enabled.

John
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
Thank's for the reply. My steps per unit is set at 1800, the velocity is 35 and accel at 30 on all axis. Where is the scaling located? I can't find it. Also the settings screen shows inches.
I did a small test carve simulation of a 2" letter and it was carving one about less than half that size.
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 04:34:14 PM »
Thank's for the reply. My steps per unit is set at 1800, the velocity is 35 and accel at 30 on all axis. Where is the scaling located? I can't find it. Also the settings screen shows inches.
I did a small test carve simulation of a 2" letter and it was carving one about less than half that size.
reguarding your steps per unit, lets figure it out to make sure its right, steps per unit are calculated starting with the number of full steps your motor turn, commonly 200 but could be different, time the number of microsteps you have the drivers set to, then the number of threads per inch your feedscrews are.  EXAMPLE, my motors are 200 steps per rotation, I'm using 1/4 microstepping and my feedscrews are 10 tpi,

So In my case 200*4*10=8000 steps per inch....

the scaling dros are to the right of the regular xyz dros on the main screen, should be set to "1"

John
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »
I'll go check the jumpers on my board and see what micro stepping I do have. Would that cause it to carve so small? I'm using Vcarve pro and never had this issue. I setup a piece 6"x 6" with a 2" tall A in the center. When it carved, which I just did in a piece of pine, it scaled down to 1" x 1" with an A of 3/8" tall. All the scaling you mentioned is set at 1.
Thank you for your help! Mike
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
Just checked my jumpers on my board and appears I'm 1/4 stepping same as you. So, looks like you are using a setup very similar to mine, I appear to be way off on the steps per unit. I'll try that and see what happens. Man, a little documentation sure could of prevented alot headache.
Mike
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »
That was it Wood. I set mine to 7200 and seems just about right. Never would have thought of that. It's carving the proper size and all.  Documentation, Documentation, Documentation. I'll never go through that again! Well at least until the next big Blue One.
Thanks again. Mike
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »
Once its working the way you want just copy your xml file to some safe location and if you ever need to reload or use a new computer all you need to do is drop the xml into the new Mach folder and all your settings will be back.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:52:15 PM »
To save the XML, do you go to config and at the bottom is save settings. Then do you go to XML backups folder and it should be the last one in there? In the readme it says to rename the extention.
Mike Kearns
noveltysigncarver.com
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 08:35:31 PM »
That was it Wood. I set mine to 7200 and seems just about right. Never would have thought of that. It's carving the proper size and all.  Documentation, Documentation, Documentation. I'll never go through that again! Well at least until the next big Blue One.
Thanks again. Mike

I'm using the hobby cnc pro board too, at 1/4 stepping with those motors and that screw I'd expect your steps per unit to be 8000, can you lay a tape measure on the table and line the bit up with one of the number then command a move to check the distance? the longer the move, the more obvious any discrepancies will be.

John

ps. I'd just snagg a copy of the xml for your profile straight from the mach3 directory.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:38:17 PM by woodspinner »