Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:45:04 PM

Author Topic: Laptop with parallel Port  (Read 6373 times)

Laptop with parallel Port
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »
To Tweakie. Thanks for your feed back. I was hoping a laptop would work but I don't have a clue what a external  motion controller is.
Anyways about the question on the limit switches. I finally figured out what was wrong last night. I plug my router cable and printer cable into a A/B switch and I started to get out my multimeter and do some checking on my router cable and noticed the plug didn't look like it was seated all the way. Sure enough, it was not. It started working OK, well sort of OK. I could jog but it kept tripping out "limit switch made". No, it was not so I started checking and found that one micro witch connector is loose inside. I went to the diagnostic tab and could see by wiggling the connector I could trigger the LED very easily So now I will have to replace that switch. Like I said, I only had normally open micro switches so I made a plate, mounted the 2 micro switches backwards and put in push rods with small tabs on the one end and spring loaded the push rods so the tabs will compress the micro switch button. Not that I am cheap but like to do with what I have on hand and not run to the store. I do a lot of McGiver stuff.
No clue to what I will do with the router table, probably just make lots of wood dust and chips. I am just enjoying building the table. It is pretty small, like 12" on the Y and 20" on the X travel. Just something to play around with and occupy my time and brain. Being retired can get to you if you don't do something other than sit around.
Re: Laptop with parallel Port
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »
Just a thought - my microswitches were normally open but I popped them apart and swapped the terminal to the other side of the throw lever and now they are normally closed.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »
I had thought of that also. I opened one up last night as it was sticky. Heavy oil somehow got in there. But the mechinisim doesn't look like it could be swapped. Will look at it again. I can do another modification of the modification I have done this last time. I went to Radio Shack today and they don't carry any microswitches. All they want to sell is Cell Phones and other easy to market stuff. Most of the associates don't know anything but how to sell and or program cell phones. I asked the other day if they had any power transformers and the girl pointed to the wall with those plug in adapters. She didn't even know they had power transformers around the corner or what they were.
I will work on my setup to perfect it some more.
One other question tho. Once the hard limit is made how do you get the gantry to back off the hard micro switch? It won't reset until it is off the micro switch. I have Auto Zero checked. I noticed on the Artsoft video that the speaker sent the X,Y to home, it stopped and then backed off to the actual home position.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:54:25 AM »
Hi Darryl,

If it's any help, the micro-switches I use are the Honeywell type which have 3 terminals (Common - NC - NO) and these are readily available on ebay.

You need to have your 'E-Stop' connected to a separate input from the series connected 'limit switches'. This way you can 'reset' then jog the axis off the activated limit switch.

Tweakie. 
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »
I got back up and running last night around 11 pm. My micro switches are from old paper shredders I cannibalized. Only one had a NO, NC connector, the rest were all NO. I do not have a E stop built in. Not sure how to do that. I know once it triggers the limit switch/s I can go into the (not sure which one now). anyways it is a tab and it opens up a window and there is a limit switch override and it lets me back off the limit switch. That will do for now. Like I said I am 72 pushing 73 pretty soon and my brain ain't in high gear anymore. If I knew how I would post a picture of my limit switch setup. It ain't fancy but it works. I did the tin bending and bracket making out of junk I had here at the house. I played around with a X box 360 joy pad I got at a flea market the other day and enabled it and it makes the X,Y go all over the place. Real touchy control.  I sure would like to make some "Saw Dust" but will have to learn programming first. Just have the free trial software right now. If I can learn then I will buy the full version.
Darryl

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
Hi Darryl,

This CNC stuff is going to be an adventure with much to learn but it will certainly keep the brain active.

I am going back a few years but this is probably the first item I made with my CNC machine.
The GCode was produced with the free software G-Simple http://www.gsimple.eu/

It was made from 1.8mm thick engraving laminate and cut with a 2mm dia. Endmill – the 6 pieces then slotted together and fixed with cyano super glue.

The cube has no practical purpose but if you want to give it a try the GCode file is attached.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
Thanks, I went to the web site and downloaded the software. Will have to copy onto a thumb drive and put it in the XP computer. Want to print out the manual also. Will probably do that on my laser printer in the "shop"/junk room. Picked up a Brother laser printer 8480DN at Goodwill for $14 (half price sale on a Saturday about 8 months ago and overrode the change toner cartridge and have been printing ever since. Found it had a aftermarket toner cartridge full of toner media.
Any ways I have another question, Tweakie said something about a E stop being incorporated into the system. Just how is the E stop wired in? Is it thru a relay or thru the breakout board? I just used the override button to back off the limit switch and or hit the stop button in the program to stop it. I am still learning but enjoying as I do.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »
Hi Darryl,

The E-Stop button is wired directly to the breakout board then configured within Mach3,  Ports & Pins / Input Signals. It basically has the same function as the on-screen Reset button.

Technically, E-Stop should be a latching multi-pole switch - which, as well as stopping Mach3 execution also disconnects power to the machine and applies brakes if appropriate although this is seldom implemented in the home-shop environment.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »
OK, now I remember seeing the E Stop input and it comes checked but if you don't incorporate it it does nothing, Right?
Now for another question. For now I am using a real cheap Harbor Freight trim router and a 1/8" bit and plan on doing real lightcuts. To control the router can I use a CRYDON (brand) solid state relay? It has a input of 3-32 V DC and a 120 V 25 amp output. Don't know where I got the relay but have had it for years. I think it should work, hopefully. Is there a input, output for such a setup?
Hey, it is in the upper 50's here in Phoenix this morning, lot better than the 110 degree weather we have been having.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:29:28 AM »
Hi Darryl,

If you connect 5 volts across the input side of your SSR (observe correct polarity) with a series ammeter you can measure the drive current. If it is less than 10mA then your SSR can be driven directly from your breakout board.
Choose the output pin you wish to use then connect the SSR input between this pin and GND, configure Mach3 Ports & Pins / Output Signals / Output #1 to your chosen Port and Pin then set it Active High. Then Under Ports & Pins / Spindle Setup choose Output #1 for Clockwise(M3) you can also set the spin-up and spin-down delays (If required).
Adding M3 to you GCode will then activate the SSR and the code M5 will de-activate it.

Tweakie.

nb. I could do with a bit of your warm weather here in the UK, it's Brass Monkey's in my workshop.  ;D
PEACE