Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:11:11 PM

Author Topic: Another newb, another issue...  (Read 11781 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Another newb, another issue...
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
No trouble at all Kevin, I just don't want to cause you any either.  If they had it running with your PC and tested they will probably get you running very quick.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
Problem solved, I am officially an idiot, and I'm embarrassed to say this, but I had the parallel cable plugged into a parallel port-looking port on the back of the supplied PC, not the printer parallel port.  I didn't even see the pink colored one before honestly.  Got my unit zero'd and homed, now I'm gonna get set up to plane my spoil board and try running a few designs in some scrap wood...after I read a lot more, that is lol  thx again, sure this won't be the last time you hear from me, but I promise to research before posting hehe

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »
 ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
Been there and done that as well(;-)

(;-) TP
Another newb, another issue...
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 10:09:08 PM »
I can't even remember the last time I've had to deal with a parallel port lol. I've been able to get everything to its home location and played around with jogging to make sure all axis and switches are functioning. I haven't fired up the spindle yet, as I'm watching all the videos on setup and configuring before I get into that. Not sure if it'll happen tonight, seeing how its already 9:00 an I have a 18month old son sleeping on the other side of one of the garage walls. But at least I know that everything (so far) seems to be functioning properly. Plus, I still need to figure out the tool touch off and all of that stuff, then there's getting my Gcode into mach3 (I assume that my aspire file has it embedded so all I would need to do is load the file into the Mach3 software). Again, I haven't got that far lol

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »
A good startup practice session can be done by putting a pencil or pen in the spindle and draw  a few things before you commit to actually cutting. You can also do that quietly so not to disturb anyone (;-)

(;-) TP
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 10:46:53 PM »
Hey, good idea!  Yeah, I've seen those plotter marker inserts for the routers, I don't have a use personally, but I think I may fool around with that tonight, to quench my curiosity. I was hoping to purchase a unit with a liquid-cooled spindle for longevity and noise factors, but the fan-cooled on the one they fired up at the factory wasn't quite as loud as a shop vac, and I can always upgrade at a later time(although I'd have to make it work with my unit, ez-router only offers fan-cooled spindles), I guess the controller software would take care of controlling it?  I devoted a lot of the past 2 months to learning Aspire and designing my parts and optimizing tool paths, now I feel a bit overwhelmed with all this controller and post processor stuff. I knew that it wasn't "easy" or everyone would be a machinist, but damn. I feel like I'm taking a crash-course in mechanical engineering, computer programming and digital design/engineering all at once with only cliff notes to prep for the test lol.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
YEP you just described DIY CNC.  Jack of all trades (;-) TP  To hear it told you just scan the picture and push the button and instant part.

(;-) TP

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 01:04:44 AM »
Here is a couple examples of plotter pens if your interested.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,16012.0.html
Rich made the super mega duty awesome one, and I made the dumbed down hillbilly McGyver version :)
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 02:51:47 AM »
I'm going with a sharpie, but having trouble A)getting my G code from Aspire (different computer, licensed copy) to my router pc B) made a lazy cam file of the aspire file, with G-code, but when I start it, it jogs to position then triggers the Z+ limit switch and stops. Being my first g code output, lack of knowledge/experience, I know that it's my Z settings, but at this point. I can't even think straight. Perhaps tomorrow, but I won't hold my breath lol