Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:39:04 AM

Author Topic: Hardware Control Button / Functions, Seeking Recommendations ???  (Read 4320 times)

Offline GT390

•  16 16
    • View Profile
My milling machine conversion is comming on well, although I have experience of manual control machines I have very little CNC experience

I am in the process of making the front panel control and would like some advise on what hardware buttons should be on the wish list.

With my lack of CNC running experience, and a limited number of inputs and outputs available, I would like some ideas from othe users what they consider to be "must have" or "would be nice to have" as hardware buttons / control

I am hoping to use the original MPEG wheel and mount it on the consule too, my list may look some thing like this

E-Stop
jog +
jog  -
single step
axes selector
feed overide
spindle overide
coolant overide
machine hold

have I missed anything that may be useful, or have I included anything that may not be of much benefit as a hardware button

I would really appreciate some input / advise from  users with more experience than I have

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware Control Button / Functions, Seeking Recommendations ???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »
If you have a MPG then I dont think you will need the Jog buttons, what I have is a rotary switch that selects between MPG Velocity mode and MPG MultiStep mode. The Multistep mode also changes the step size so I have 1mm 0.1mm and 0.01mm steps but to be honest I only ever use in Velocity or 0.01mm multistep and infact that was the way I did the Bridgeport.

Heres a pic of what I usually have on my  panels.
Hood

Offline GT390

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
Thanks Hood, I am using the exact same keyboard, Storm 2210, how do I go about using pots to control the feed/spindle overides

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:26:23 PM »
You need analogue inputs, I use a PLC but a cheaper option is get yourself a PoKeys, a lot cheaper but only 5v I/O compared to the PLC's 24 but its still good as long as you are careful about shielding any wires.
The PoKeys has 55 I/O and I think 3 can be set to Analogue Inputs.

Hood

Offline GT390

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »
I am using a PMDX 126 and ethrnet smooth stepper, will the PoKeys work with this setup ?

I had a look on their website, looks like they now have a new ethernet model, it supports up to seven analog and 55 digital inputs
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:40:58 PM by GT390 »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:40:02 PM »
E stop - mine is different in that it kills the axes movement and doesn't take out the complete power and can be held in my hand.
            Need to get around to adding the KILL Switch would take out the complete machine.

Axis Dissable - allows disabling any or all the axes

MPG's - couldn't live without them, suite oneself on how to use them, turn fast the axis moves fast..... turn slow and creep along   at  1/1000" , two required and have them turn in the direction the axis should go so you don't have to think about it

One movable cart with the electronics - saves money- may not be applicable for a lot of users

FWIW,
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
Yes Ethernet is the one to get and yes it will work fine with the SS.
Hood