Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 01:41:28 AM

Author Topic: Posting Options  (Read 5008 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Posting Options
« on: September 30, 2012, 03:37:07 AM »
I understand what Plunge Clearance means from the description of Posting Options on LC page 15, but to me Rapid Height described on LC page 26 seems the same unless I misinterpret the term Rapid Height

Should the Plunge Clarence value be the same as the Rapid Height or the Plunge Clearance value should be larger than the Rapid Height?

I normally use 1ā€ as the Rapid Height on my mill, what will be a good value for Plunge Clearance?
Nicolas

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Posting Options
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:41:40 AM »
For additional information see Tutorial #6.
RICH

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:21:40 AM »
Iā€™m not an experience user RICH but I know enough to understand that its important to understand well this subject.

The definition of Plunge Clearance is the distance ABOVE the cut starting point where Mach can safely rapid down to the workpiece without hitting the workpiece

But the definition of the Rapid Height is also the same; the area above the workpiece where the tool can travel without hitting any workpiece

So what is the purpose of the Plunge Clearance?

Perhaps it has to do only with the speed of the Z axis travel?

As I can see from the Gcode in the tutorial #6 the only difference between the 2 GCodes is that when the Plunge Clearance is ON, the tool lowers to 1/2" with a G0 and when the Plunge Clearance is OFF the tool lowers to 0.00ā€ with a G1
Nicolas

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »
A user could have an obstacle in the path so the rapid height would be set to clear that obstacle and not hit it. (G0) When entering the cut you could rapid down some distance (G0) with  max speed and then slow down the axis travel to a set feedrate (G1 F__) as the tool enters for cutting. It's up to the user to define what they want to do. Otherwise you end up with LC's default values.
Guess the wirte-up could be written differently and maybe will do so some day.

RICH

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:13:07 PM by RICH »

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »
Now it is clear to me

Thanks RICH
Nicolas