Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:59:21 AM

Author Topic: problems with homing on slaved axis a to x  (Read 6907 times)

problems with homing on slaved axis a to x
« on: January 18, 2007, 05:28:38 PM »
I have my ganyry slaved x to a  and it seems that when i push the homing button to square the gantry the first switch it hits stops the gantry instead of going all the way to hit both switches to make the gantry square  . i have all the buttons checked in homing an the ports and pins all help would be greatly appreciated . Just to make sure in doing this right   when you want to square your gantry you just hit home next to the dro is this correct

John

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: problems with homing on slaved axis a to x
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 05:38:19 PM »
Hey John,
    If you have them slaved, it's going to stop them both. Also, do you have a home switch and a limit switch or are they one in the same?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:55:12 PM »
i dont have any limit switches up yet just homing    . i was told to make your gantry square and easy to adjust run an x and a a  dual drive  the run 2 switches ,one each side  so when you home you can just move one of the switches forward or backward to make your gantry square   so i would think that the gantry would just stop on one side and the other side would keep going until it hit its switch i geuss i was wrong  hmmmmm

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 06:13:54 PM »
I know what you are saying. I have seen this set up before. The problem with this idea and your setup is the axis slaving. When they are slaved, if one stops, so does the other. If the one goes, the other goes. I think your best bet is to true it as good as possible mechanically first. You can use the two motors to tweak it, but not in slave.

Brett

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 08:02:53 PM »

In the Mach manual that I have (maybe out of date) it talks about homing with a slaved axis Par 5.6.4

Wanted to paste the relevent bit but it is locked.  You will have to look it up.  :)

I am interested in this issue because the router I am cuurently building is going to depend on this

homing strategy.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 08:06:28 PM »
I may not be thinking deep enough. Can you paste me a link in?

Brett

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:24:13 PM »
Brett I am sure you would already have this PDF but the link is

http://www.machsupport.com/documentation/M3M1_84-A2.pdf

My PDF reader (Foxit) won't allow me to cut and paste the relevent paragraph.  5.6.4

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:44:03 PM »
Hey John, Greolt is right. If I understand the reading right. I haven't really looked at that before. Shame, shame on me. :-[ I'm sorry for leading you astray. :(  Basically it should ignore the fact that they are slaved while in a homing move. I thinkonce you get your limits wired, it will work as it should.

I have to go and kick myself in the butt now.
Brett

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »
im getting ready for work( midnights :P) im going to mess with it some more tommorow and this weekend
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »
ok i have upgraded to the very latest version of mach got rid of my 2 dollar switches and got some decent ones  this is by far in my opinion the easiest way to square your table just move a switch forward or back i sprayed down some blueing on a 4x4 piece of sheet metal  lathed out a 1-3/8 scribe to fit in my torch holder and started squaring  i know this is off the subject but it just seems the newest version of mach runs better on my machine then 1.9.0011
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:37:17 AM by dgalaxy »