Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:40:20 AM

Author Topic: Help I need to get setup!!  (Read 12980 times)

Re: Help I need to get setup!!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »
Great!! Thanks I will give it a try and let you know what the outcome is.

I really appreciate this.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »
Crob,
I don't kow if you have ever done any CAD work but in general here is how things work.
- The user creates a a drawing of something in a CAD program, save's  the drawing as a dxf ( version 12 usualy preferred), the dxf file is imported into a  CAM
program which creates the Gcode based on the info from the dxf file. During the CAD phase one can move, scale whatever was drawn to ones wishes.
Where the drawn figure is relative to X & Y =0 is the users choice,but, one usualy positions it to suite the way they deisre to have the Gcode generated.
Of course one can scale the drawing or choose to manipulate in Mach to accomplish the equivilant.

LazyCam is free if your not going to do any offsets and there is a manual in Member's Docs. You should find a lot of the info helpfull.
BTW, LC is an imported of a dxf and not meant to be a CAD program.
Have fun ........
RICH
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
After looking at the drawing I see how the initial drawing was way off center, thanks for pointing it out and the direction.
I had to download a DXF viewer, also with that Jpeg can I use inkscape to convert it to DXF since it's a basic drawing?
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »
can you help me with something that will work? Anything?
my viewer attached, not sure if the drawing should be dead center but it isn't
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:48:21 PM by crob09 »

Offline Hal

•  60 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »
Let's start with some basics.
1 You need a CAD program This will be for editting the drawing It should be able to handle scale and move of the drawing. I draw a rectangle for the stock and put a corner at X0,Y0. Price goes with bells and whistles. Simpler the easier to learn.

2. Practice, practice, practice. Learn your software.

3 Try baby steps. Small victories are better than totally lost and giving up.

4. The file will load to were your 0,0. If it is in the center,or at a corner the path is loaded there. Reseting the zeroes will move the path.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 10:36:50 PM »
I am just looking for something to test with to start.
Can you please help me with a .DXF file or G code file that works, nothing complicated the scorpion will do but just 2" square.
my bed is 8.25" square.
Now that you mentioned that I need an editor, can you help me find something to use that is simple and inexpensive or free?
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »
Any suggestions for a good editor?
Do you have any examples i can use?
It would be very nice if I could just run this mill, hence my request for a sample drawing, heck even if it's 8" square I would be happy. 8"Long 8"wide 1/8" thick or 8" long 8" wide 0" thick.

I found that scorpion on this website as it sits, can you help me make it work? Software suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:18:24 PM by crob09 »
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 11:41:57 PM »
CROB,
Two pic's attached, one shows how the scorpian was drawn and an appox center point. Attached dxf moves the X & Y locaton in the dxf which you can use to generate
new code is you wish. If you move to coardinates per Jerry's comment then the original will be centered.
RICH
Sorry Rich, but is the DXF that you attached good to use?
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 12:06:45 AM »
How do I use LazyCAM to center it?
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 02:06:14 AM »
Let's start with some basics.
1 You need a CAD program This will be for editting the drawing It should be able to handle scale and move of the drawing. I draw a rectangle for the stock and put a corner at X0,Y0. Price goes with bells and whistles. Simpler the easier to learn.

2. Practice, practice, practice. Learn your software.

3 Try baby steps. Small victories are better than totally lost and giving up.

4. The file will load to were your 0,0. If it is in the center,or at a corner the path is loaded there. Reseting the zeroes will move the path.

Yeah it's about the basics!!! I can see why everyone uses the software and why people are exasperated by the help!
I will be providing video soon on how easy it is to use mach3.... NOT!!!!!
Look at the support! I managed to get one thing good then nothing but headache, no one helps.
Word to the Future Wise, people are looking for simple solutions not complicated ones, it's no wonder why Mach3 has a free version and why most people choose EMC. It's because no one want to struggle to get something they paid for to work, they would rather learn for free or pay for something that already works.
It seems to me like this is just one big ploy for job security rather than helping people.
Hint all you want, but if you want people to pay for your stuff, show them why it's worth it.
Pissed off, I cant even find a simple file that works with the sample product, talk about sad.