Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:42:02 PM

Author Topic: stalling  (Read 11875 times)

stalling
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:47:54 PM »
I have been using mach3 for little over a year with a dell laptop with no problems.  I started having some problems with my machine and in the process of troubleshooting it I fried my laptop. I did my repairs on my machine and replaced the laptop with an identicle one to eliminate the whole Mach vs. laptop issues. When I run a circle program to identify any inconsistancies I get occasional machine stalls. These stalls are completly random in timing, duration and even axis. I have noticed no patterns in these stalls. I ran the circle test in a continous loop for an hour and a half with my desktop pc without failiure, so I believe this must be a laptop issue. I am totally baffled though as I am running an identicle system that had worked flawlessly for a year. I have installed and reinstalled mach and the entire os for that matter and compared side by side all the mach settings with my desktop. I have followed the optimazation file as I had on the previous laptop and the driver tests pass with flying colors. This is actually a short list of all I had done to try and isolate the problem but the end result is the same. I am out of ideas. When I decide to giveup and just go with a desktop I will still always wonder.
 Brandy Ender

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: stalling
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:31:07 PM »
Hey B. Ender
I hope you get it sorted. I don't know how they pack so many Gremlins in those little laptops. ;D Keep us posted on your findings. I had some really strange things going on with my desktop. Narrowed it down to the wireless network. Do you have a wireless network on your laptop? If so, what kind is it?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 09:58:10 PM »
Yes it has a built in wireless (so did the old system) but I know little about it as I have never used it.  What brought you to think of your wireless?

Brandy

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 10:09:17 PM »
I had no troubles before I installed it. Once I installed it I got some really ugly talk at times when I would send a file to it via wireless. Things like " your system has encountered a major error and must restart." Scarry. I ran some cat 5 cable and smooth as silk ever since.

Brett

Offline ardor

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 04:49:30 AM »
I just finished puting the PC I set up, for my mill, out in the shop.  Put a cute little USB NIC on it.  I won't need to use it while running the mill, so I hope that disabling it in the device manager until I need it would cancel potential problems ?? ???

Edit: Or is this more of a laptop issue?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:52:02 AM by ardor »
There is no approved dental use for WD40

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »
Hey Ardor,
    My problem was on a desktop. I don't know what it didn't like about the wireless network, but it didn't like it at all. Mixed like oil and water. :'(

Brett

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:19:22 AM »
One more differance I have noticed between laptop and desktop. In the diagnostics page the Port1 Pins Current State. More of these are lit up on the desktop than on the laptop.  What do these lights actually represent??
 Brandy
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:26:55 AM »
You need to lock the network speed and that should fix the problem :)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 08:39:07 AM »
Hey Brandy,
    If I'm not mistaken, it means they are high. In other words, if the led is lit up where you have an active high set limit switch, Mach sees that limit switch as tripped, or made throwing an e-stop. Does this help?

Brett

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »
Brian ,
 How do you go about doing that?

Brett,
This sounds logical but does not explain why thge desktop and laptop show differant when they are set up exactly the same.

Thanks for the ideas this really is helping,  Brandy