Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:38:55 AM

Author Topic: Lathe ops on a mill - use mill screen or lathe screen?  (Read 4831 times)

Lathe ops on a mill - use mill screen or lathe screen?
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »
I need a little direction here.

I started playing around with lathe operations on my milling machine.  Stock held in the spindle and tools bolted to
the table. 

I have successfully cut a part on both the mill and the lathe screen.  One the mill screen I had to switch all G2 commands
to G3 commands and all G3 to G2.  I can easily edit my post possessor in CamBam to do this for me so it is not a big deal.

My main question is which one would be better?

I want to eventually set up a multiple tools on the bed of the mill and use work coordinate offsets to locate each one.

Question, Can that be done in the lathe screens?  The lathe screen has no Y so I am not sure how it can be done?

Thank you for the help.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe ops on a mill - use mill screen or lathe screen?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
May want to have a look at using MSM by Calypso Ventures, Inc as Dave has it all setup for doing lathe work on the Mill.
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »
Another option is you could copy a mill screenset and rename it with a .lset file extension. If you then load that screenset it will look like a mill screen but will be seen by Mach as a lathe. You have to restart Mach after loading the screenset for the changes to happen. You could make two profiles though one a mill the other a lathe.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »
Another option is you could copy a mill screenset and rename it with a .lset file extension. If you then load that screenset it will look like a mill screen but will be seen by Mach as a lathe. You have to restart Mach after loading the screenset for the changes to happen. You could make two profiles though one a mill the other a lathe.
Hood

Hmmm....  What I did last night to get thai all working was copy my mill xls file (mdoo1) and renamed it to md001 lathe.  Then I edited the xls file and changed the .set to .lset so I could load lathe screens. 

I will try to simple copy and rename the file extension as you explained. 

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »
May want to have a look at using MSM by Calypso Ventures, Inc as Dave has it all setup for doing lathe work on the Mill.
RICH

Watched the video's and that is a nice setup. 
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 01:08:41 AM »
RICH

Watched the video's and that is a nice setup. 

Installed the demo and while it has a lot of nice features my first impression is that is may be
over complicated for what I want or need.

I will say the 70.00 for the pro version seems fair for the amount of effort the has gone into it.

I already have a tool change macro/script, and I added in my own button to set the tool change
location.  And if I purchase MSM I would need a probe next!  ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:15:37 AM »

Hmmm....  What I did last night to get thai all working was copy my mill xls file (mdoo1) and renamed it to md001 lathe.  Then I edited the xls file and changed the .set to .lset so I could load lathe screens. 

Presume you are talking about the xml? The easy way to load a screenset is from the View menu in Mach, editing the xml and changing the .set to .lset will not work unless you have previously made a .lset file,  unless of course you entered the full name of the screenset rather than just changing the extension name?

Hood
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 09:04:12 PM »

Presume you are talking about the xml? The easy way to load a screenset is from the View menu in Mach, editing the xml and changing the .set to .lset will not work unless you have previously made a .lset file,  unless of course you entered the full name of the screenset rather than just changing the extension name?

Hood

Thank you Hood,
I figured out what I was doing wrong.  Your right I didn't need to edit the XML file.