Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:52:38 AM

Author Topic: Encoders - fit or forget?  (Read 2394 times)

Encoders - fit or forget?
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:34:58 AM »
Before I get too carried away, I'm considering the fitting of encoders to my Bridgeport clone conversion.  The Steppers I have are dual ended, and the X ballscrew at least has excess length so I have two options for the mounting of encoders.

Coming from an industrial background, it is my intention to fit home switches so I can reference the machine every time I power down, I know steppers can loose count sometimes so the ability to reference is important to me.

Question is though, is it worth me fitting encoders aswell?  and if so, to the back of the stepper or the end of the ballscrew?

Thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Encoders - fit or forget?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:49:09 AM »
Hi EJP,

In my opinion...
If your steppers can loose count during use then that is a big problem which should be addressed and corrected before anything else.
Steppers will always loose 'exact' position (if micro-stepping is being used) when everything is switched off so if you rely on referencing then it should be repeated when a machine is first switched on again.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »
We always reference after power down at work, its a habit I'm not keen to break, so my home machine I intend to reference every day too.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »
We always reference after power down at work, its a habit I'm not keen to break, so my home machine I intend to reference every day too.

There is no problem with that, just remember to do it again when you start up if you need to rely on the reference position.

Tweakie.
PEACE