Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:38:42 AM

Author Topic: No motor running or axis movement  (Read 8571 times)

No motor running or axis movement
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:14:10 PM »
Yesterday about this time I couldn't have been more delighted. After several days of reading the files & the tutorial videos on configuring the Mach3 I was able to obtain for about 17 seconds of actual manual testing of each axis. I decided to shut down the machine and take a break. Mission was accomplished so I thought.

With much joy I started up the PC and opened Mach3 pressed tab, to see if I wasn't delusional, I tried to see if I could manually move the axis as I did before. WRONG? Somewhere I'm MISSING something possibly in  my configuration??? Not sure who produced & directed the FTP video but it was very nicely done. 

Was not able to get everything so I have A few questions for the Forum if you will?? Not sure if this would be pertinent, but What would be the motor profile settings for each axis? Under ports & pin settings the input & output settings?? What is to be enable. There is some conflict in the mach3 tutorial, if all, none, are to be enabled, etc. Not sure how important this is, as I've tried to make settings on what I thought I read and what I saw.

Again I appreciate the input. Wish I had move of an update to share. Thank you very much!  PS

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: No motor running or axis movement
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 05:20:55 PM »
Attach your xml and I will have a look and see if there are problems.
Hood

Offline CES

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 07:32:14 PM »
I am running Mach3 Version R3.043.022 (the build the really bad looking green Settings screen).
The tb6560 stepper motor driver controller board is the interface between the Steppers and the PC.

http://www.nbglin.com/tb6560.htm

Motors make noise but shafts do not move. I have increased the pulse width (in Motor Tune) of the step pulse from 0 to 5 in 1uS increments. No motor shaft movement. I have tuned the motors so they sound smooth and don't jerk on the table but still no shaft movement. If I turn the Slow Jog Rate to 1% or lower, the motors grind but the shafts do not move. Below 1% and the shafts oscillate but do not actually rotate.
I have been unable to get any forward or backward movement out of the motors.
I found several different Port / Pin settings that make the motors make sound but none that make the shafts turn.

The motors are wired with Red to ZA+, Blue to ZA-, Green to ZB+ and Black to ZB- and so on on the other two motors.
My DC supply from Mean Well is set for 24.08V and will support up to 14.5A before dropping below 22V.

In searching for the correct Port Pin settings, this is what I found -
On one web page:
Axis   Step    Dir
-----------------------
X      2         3
Y      4         5  Y axis makes noise if 4 is changed to 14
Z      6         7

and on another:
X      1         7
Y      8         3
Z      5         4

and another setting that I found makes the motors make noise but still not move the shafts:
X      2         7
Y      14       3
Z      6         4
http://www.fozztexx.com/CNC/HY-TB3DV-M_3Axis_Driver.pdf

I must be missing something in my configuration but after watching all of the videos and searching the web I found nothing incorrect.

I did select "inch" and wish I had left everything in "mm" as the entire setup would have been easier.

Any help in getting the motor shafts turning the way they should would be greatly appreciated by this complete novice CNC builder.
Oh, BTW, I am modifying a Grizzly MILL with parts from CNC Fusion.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 10:14:49 PM »
Hood

What would be the procedure or information needed to attach the xml? You have to deal with senior newby that is trying to configure my Taig CNC 4 axis to manually run the motors & axis. Kindest regards - PS 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 03:22:03 AM »
Open Mach and look lower right at the profile name. Close Mach and browse to the Mach3 folder and look for a file with that name and a xml file extension. Right click on it and copy, go to your desktop and right click in a blank space and paste. Right click on it again and this time rename and call it peppermark.xml. Lastly on the reply page use the additional options button to browse your computer and attach the renamed file.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 08:04:11 AM »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 08:30:23 AM »
CES,
Please don't highjack someones elses posted topic, create your owne topic, as that makes it easier to address your needs. Before you do that, do a search for the tb6560 as there are similar posts that apply to that controller.

Pete,
You don't have any motor configuration in your xml.  ???

RICH
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:40:10 AM by RICH »
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:37:09 AM »
[

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »
Pete,
You don't have the motors configured in the xml posted.

What motors do you have and how do you have them wired?

RICH

These are all (4) 200 oz stepper motors. Not sure concerning the wiring as the system is a Taig MicroMill CNC that was assembled complete when I received it. How should they be wired and is there some way I can check this out?   

I won't be back until afternoon so this may be my last posting for awhile. Thank you! PS 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 08:59:28 AM »
You need to calculate the steps per unit.
Provide description of an axis ie....motor pulley, screw pulley, pitch of screw.
Do you have motor info? Number of wires 4,6,8?
RICH