Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:38:46 AM

Author Topic: HELP!!! Mach won't work after update  (Read 7637 times)

HELP!!! Mach won't work after update
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:58:36 AM »
Hi,
I'm really, really hoping someone out there can help me: I updated mach finally, from the old version I was running, and now I can't get any response from my machine if I try jogging, etc from the newly installed version. I've been putting off updating the software since it seems as if I'm cursed: anytime I try something like this, regardless of the program, I seem to run into some issue and the update is a disaster. Case in point, my attempt to bring mach up to date. I'll describe what I did and hopefully someone will be able to help me get things up and running again (cus I absolutely NEED to have my machine working, as it's for my job, so this is truly truly bad for me): I downloaded the new lockdown version off of the artsoft website, renamed it to "mach3.5"when prompted so it was saved in my computer/c:/ directory under that heading (since my original version of mach was already saved there under "mach3", and I'm neurotic/was worried I'd overwrite my first version and lose my license info). That seemed to work, i.e; I was led through all the screens where I had to click "accept" for licensing, etc, was shown the "under mach3 control" screen - basically, the install seemed like it went smoothly, without a hitch. I re-booted, as per instruction, then copied the license file from my old version of mach to the new "Mach3.2" folder in myy C:/ directory, and when I ran the new version it showed that the updated software had been correctly registered/my license had transferred. I re-entered all my settings, then tried to just quickly jog my axes to see if there were any issues, and nothing. I can't get any response from the motors, and there isn't any indication in the diagnostic screen if I trip either home or limit switches. I'm gonna go back through (again) the documentation available on installing the software, in case I'm missing something but PLEASE if anyone should read this and can suggest something I should try, I would be unbelievably grateful. If I can't get this working I am, no exaggeration, screwed

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!! Mach won't work after update
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:05:31 AM »
Copy the xml from your previous install into the new install and your settings will be there and should work fine.
Personally I would have just installed over the top to the same location but always have your licence, xml and anything else you have custom such as screensets/brains/macros, saved to another location regardless of whether you are about to do an upgrade or not, in fact it is best to have them saved to another computer or a pen drive just in case your hard drive dies. Doing that means you can be up and running on a new computer in the time it takes to install Mach and replace these files..
 If you really are scared then it would have been better to rename the old Mach3 folder to something like OldMach3 then install the new one to the default Mach3.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:14:28 AM »
Thanks for the response: I got it working, or at least I was able to get motion corresponding to whatever command i input through the jog screen. However, when I tried running g-code same as I had been running it w my old version, first off I get "too fast for pulley, setting to max" or something similar, in the box by the onscreen e-stop/reset button, and if I to actually run the code I get a short jerky series of motions and then the code stops scrolling altogether and then motors all stop. I copied all my previous settings  ont this new version, so I'm not clear what's happening. DOesn't seem like this should be necessary but should I uninstall the old version, in addition to re-titling the new install folder simply "mach3"? Aside from those thoughts, I'm sincerely at a loss  (not to mention pretty well panicked at the moment)...
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 05:04:00 AM »
Ok, here's a little more detail to describe just what's happening: when I try loading a g-code file that I've run previously w/ zero issue on my older install, first off the image that's generated in the toolpath window is just a ridiculously small blob. Then, when I try to actually run the job, I get a few small little passes, then the machine and the code scrolling in mach's screen stop at the 500 line mark. Which leads me to believe it's running as if it was a demo/un-licensed version, though it clearly states that the version is licensed/that I installed my license in the new version correctly (or why else would it state on-screen that it's running a licensed version?). That's really all I can think of: I uninstalled the older version to try fixing any conflict's the software might've had w the 2 versions installed on the same computer, plus renamed the file in the C directory, but still: when I try running it it acts as though it's an unlicensed demo version. Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 07:00:23 AM »
Did you copy over your xml?
If not do that and your settings will all be the same as before.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:34:15 AM »
I had never saved an xml file from my previous settings - the machine I'm running is sort of similar to a plotter, so aside from the motor tuning and home/limit's, there weren't really any tool offsets, etc that I was relying on or anything else along those lines. I had my settings, such as they were, written down but that's it, but apparently that's not enough since I'm still locked out/the software's only allowing 500 lines like an unlicensed version. This an incredible problem for me - I'm almost at th point where I'm considering uninstalling everything/wiping mach off the computer then purchasing a new license and re-installing. Except I can't really afford to do that, though I absolutely need it running so I'm just pretty desperate for some solution. ANYthing anyone could suggestwould be truly appreciated

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:44:09 AM »
In your first post you said you changed the install location to mach3.5 so if that is the case then the old Mach3 folder will still be there with all your previous setup.
You can copy the  xml to the new folder easily by right clicking on it and copy the browse to the mach3.5 folder and paste it.
You could of course just go back to your old version and try it to see if all works, just browse to the Mach3 folder and double click the Mach3.exe and it will open your previous version of Mach, only thing is it would be using the updated driver so you would really need to go back to the old one by clicking on the drivertest.exe (the one in the old folder) and that will install the old driver.

Hood
Hood
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »
As I had said in a previous post, I uninstalled the older version of mach, thinking that the problem was being caused by a conflict btwn having two versions installed on the same computer. I saved my licensing info, but that's about it, since I honestly never altered any settings beyond what I described (i.e; motor tuning, home, limits - that was really it, as far as any configuration done by me on the previous version).

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 07:51:42 AM »
Well afraid you have something different, attach your xml and I will have a look at it.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 08:03:55 AM »
Thanks in advance for your help w this. Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but - as I've described previously- I've never had any issues w configuration, etc, so as of yet haven't had reason to deal w .xml files. Just so I don't waste any of your time sending the incorrect info, is the correct .xml file located under the "xmlbackup" in the C:/mach3 directory?