Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:50:34 AM

Author Topic: How to manually test individual Taig axis using Mach3  (Read 6355 times)

How to manually test individual Taig axis using Mach3
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
Greetings folks - First CNC adventure starting with the new Taig. I even got latest version of Mach3 installed. Using XP! At this time, Would just like to know how to configure the right screen settings in Mach3 so that I can test & Jog/ RUN each axis individually. This is the outstanding Taig Microproto 2000 mill with the stepper system. 4 axis system. If this makes any difference I have the parallel port connected to the PC. X Y & Z axis are connected to the Driver Box that is not turn on when system is started.  A axis port is not connected.

I have read the instructions different times but being that I have no previous experience with the jargon,  settings, configurations, etc. I've lost my way. So I decided to present this to the Forum, which is also new to me, to see if there may be somebody who is willing to take the time to explain how all this is to come about or just tell me where to go. 

Appreciate your patience & understanding concerning this matter. Looking forward to what input, suggestions, & assistance that the Forum has to offer this senior citizen.  :)     

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: How to manually test individual Taig axis using Mach3
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:12:30 PM »
You will need to set up each axis, you do that from Config menu then Ports and Pins then Motor Ouputs. You need to enable each axis and set the correct pins for Step and Direction and also the port you have them connected to. Afraid I cant say which pins they will be as it is all dependant on where you have them physically connected.
You will also need to tune the motors in Motor Tuning which is again from the Config menu.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:16:34 PM »
May I suggest you have a look at the Mach manual.
1. Select you units
2.Make sure the PP is proper address, start with 25khz, assign pinouts and enable each motor
3. define your units
4. Calculate the steps per unit for each axis. You can also use the axis calibration feature in Mach or
   you can also use the spread sheet in Toolbox section. set velocity and accel to a low value, puse duration to say 3.
   Later you can refine the above based on your system / testing.
5. for just jogging around you should be good to go with what the general config as is.
6. In system hotkeys select the jog key for each axis direction

Save the settings. SHould be enough to get you jogging so you can fool around.
Then read the Manual......read the Mach Manual.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:33:04 PM »
Go to
Support>Videos
click on FTP link in the second sentence
>Docs>Mach3 Setup Tutorial

ftp://ftp.machsupport.com/Docs/Mach3%20Setup%20Tutorial.pdf

The executive beginners summary,  ;)

RICH
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:50:59 PM by RICH »
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »
Hi Rich - What does this mean when I click on the enclosed link?  ???.......... 404 Not Found
nginx/0.6.32   PS
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:18:11 PM »
it means he had a type

ftp://ftp.machsupport.com/Docs/Mach3%20Setup%20Tutorial.pdf

here it is corrected

John
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 10:42:14 PM »
Even though I was still not able to open the Link posted here. I went to the Support link posted in Artsoft and opened the Video Tutorials and found videos available from the Videos directory FTP. There's a multitude of videos posted. Hopefully, in time, I will be able to decipher and incorporate this information appropriately so I can get the Taig properly configured. I love this Forum.  :) PS 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:40:24 AM »
After clicking the FTP link you go to the Docs directory and in that directory you will find a file named Mach3 Setup Tutorial
which  you can open or save.

Configuration is a problem for most new users and i think the major problem is the lack of understanding that
CNC is not plug and play and requires some understanding of each input. The understanding can come form reading  the Mach 3 Manual.

RICH

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »
Appreciate the input & suggestions that I've received so far. I've located the Mach3 Tutorial, looks promising, and I'm hoping I can make some progress. Your observations are right on and I hope I will have some good news later on as I get back into this. PS