Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:21:58 PM

Author Topic: Shift in my X Y and Z axis  (Read 3124 times)

Shift in my X Y and Z axis
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »
Shift in my X Y and Z axis

I am running an ACT desktop milling machine / mach 3 processor with Mach 3 CNC v 3.042.040 on a 2.83 GHz quad core processor and windows XP with a lot of services disabled as suggested by ArtSoft. The problem is the axis will shift during a machining operation. I will set the machine up to run a ¼ inch end mill at 5 in/min cutting wax, run it and measure, no problems. Set the machine up with a 1/8 end mill at 5 in/min for detail cuts, run it and measure, stars out accurate but ends up off in the x by .053in, y by .042in and z by .027in at the end. The results are never the same and is not repeatable. I have slowed my feed rate, ran a ground wire from the cnc to the computer frame and even reinstalled XP and Mach3 CNC with no luck. I have had the x axis jump during a jog. If anybody has any ideas I am desperate, so tired of cutting the same thing over and over.

Thanks
Jon

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Shift in my X Y and Z axis
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »
Are you doing 3d work?
RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:28:49 AM »
Hi Jon,

The problem could be one of electrical noise.

The ground wire between you computer and machine frame should be removed (this is not a good idea).

Are all your limit switches etc connected with shielded cables ??

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »
Rich,
Yes, there is a horizontal roughing operation in the 1/8 end mill routine, but mostly 2 ½ axis pocketing and profiling.

Tweakie,
I will have to take the machine apart to see if the cables are shielded, my guess is they are not.