Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:11:07 AM

Author Topic: Material Feeder Wizard Suggestions  (Read 15952 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Material Feeder Wizard Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »
Russ ALL mach3 axis are tied together for the FRO. The Spindle function cannot drive an axis.

Mach3's Gcode does NOT have an interupt as per say.  IT can only follow where the G code takes it. Being it does NOT do conditional it is very limited for general Motion control operations.

The way I see it would have to run (dependably) Is the operator inputs the length of part and Material. The Program then calculates all the parameters such as Cycles per section and sections per material length then UPDATES the Gocde Vars that drive the MOVE then Cut G code loop.

That way G code controls the Motion NOT CB and there would be few if any problems.

Normally Mach3 makes a POOR PLC as there is no easy way to control the CB threads to keep them in time sync. AND you cannot control an axis directly through CB it has to Move OUT to a G code function thread  to be able to move an axis.

You may be able to pull it off with a PLUGIN but that is another story.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »
ONE last word of warning, MACH3 has a NASTY safety BUG in CB macros. IF the Macro is in the middle of a loop controlling motion AND you ESTOP then clear the problem then RESET mach will resume and  RUN the motion loop stored in CB.

When in Estop ALL macro threads "should" be closed/cancelled BUT they are not. (;-)

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 05:18:06 PM »
RUSS are you retrofitting this machine or do you have a choice of design for the feed section??

(;-) TP
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
The original saw was built about 40 years ago and is all pneumatic with roller limit switches activated by the various slides.
No retro, choice of design.
I would like to build another very similar but with an NC feeder for precision as well as quick easy changeover between product runs.

Maybe also NC the SAW slide to have custom feedrates for various material types and thickness. (heck, maybe a VFD for the saw motor too, but the surface speed seldom varies)

The Mach route is looking iffy. This has to be pretty bulletproof, reliable and above all SAFE.
Thanks,
Russ

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »
IF you used a drive roller feed OR continuous rack and pinion it would be fairly simple to bar feed. Simply run the Gcode cycle till it runs out of barstock then reload.

AS long as you drive the Motion in straight Gcode it will be safe. As all the safeties of mach3 will work fine. You can even drive safety light curtains to keep hands away.

Create a genearic cut program using #vars for the cut variables Bar Feed and cut feed.
M501                   (open Clamps for stock entry and reset Z axis to Zero
G1 Z#500 F#502  (barfeed)
G4P0                   (restart the buffer for QUICK stops)
G1 X#503 F#504  (cut the stock)
G4P0
G0 X0.000            (retract saw)
M500                   (Checks the state of the Prox switch IF not then cycle the barfeeder1 cut cycle)

The Macros on the screenset will program the #vars then turn control over to the Gcode side of MACh3 for the motion control. It will EVEN create the custom CUT file based on the preset paramaters ready for the machine to cut.

I have USED this approach before and trust it.

Axis feed the Cut axis to control Feedrate.
Same with Barfeed

There is always a way, MAYBE  (;-) TP

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:51:28 PM by BR549 »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »
This approach would work fine I believe as best as I can test it here AND be safe for the Machine and OP.

Screen macro programs the part cut size (length and width) and feedrates of feed and barfeed updates #vars Verifies that the #vars are filled before posting Gcode for the part as a safety.

M501                   (open Clamps for Bar Feed , verify saw and coolant ON else stop and error to OP)
G1 Z#500 F#502  (barfeed)
G4P0                   (restart the buffer for QUICK stops)
G1 X#503 F#504  (cut the stock)
G4P0                   (restart the buffer for quick stops)
G0 X0.000            (retract saw)
M500                   (Eject part , Checks the state of the Prox switch IF not then Continue  Else STOP AND Flash a full size page LED to get their attention(;-) Limit switch
                           Will stop machine IF part size is shorter than clamp length (safety) )
M47                     (repeat from line#1)

You can EVEN add a running total parts counter with a reset button (;-)

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:24:08 PM by BR549 »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Russ here is an example I am working on. It has all the features you asked for including an Individual FRO for Cut feed and Bar Feed. It is also a SAFE design.

It will require a continuous bar feeder though either roller or R&P.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »
AN ADDED Feature will be USING the tool table and Tool change to STORE all your material sizes and make changes to material setup as a tool change.

Look in the tool table select the material by description and load (;-)

You can also PRINT the Material Table (tool) to a file for reveiw OR to a printer.

I use that trick in plasma screens(;-)

(;-) That feature is FREE (;-), (;-) TP

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »
Nice features TP !
This saw will primarily be for tubing/round stock.
The clamps will accept material 0.125" to 1.25" dia. X 5.5" wide (flat group of rounds) with no modification. All products fall within this range. The "Part Width" would not change here as all "groups" are nearly the same.

The feed mechanism HAS to be within +/- 0.001". Thats why I chose the ballscrew.
ROller feed, I understand but seems it would only work well cutting individual rounds with contoured rolls for each product, of which there are possibly 100. Not sure of the precision achieveable with the roller type feed either. ? ? Could it maintain this tolerance ?

My minds eye can not see how a R&P set up is continuous (like a roller). Please explain.

Part lengths vary from 0.500" to 30.000" of which there are well over 100. I like the tool table idea !

Keep in mind, some of the material is thin walled and quite fragile, clamp pressures are carefully adjusted for each run.

Could two horizontally mounted, vertically opposed feed rollers consistantly and accurately feen a flat group ? It would be EXCELLENT if this would work well WITHOUT having to change feed rolls for each stock OD. Rubber, or urethane covered rolls might be OK but they will be exposed to cutting fluid so they might become slick. Accel and decell is always an issue, especially whith heavier, longer stock.

The reason I wanted to retract the feed screw fully, then feed short parts incrementally was to wear the screw evenly from end to end.
Otherwise, several hundred thousand cycles in one spot ....you know.

I also think I have Mach3 and a PLC working together (in sim) with 1 macro and an OEM trigger. More on that later, maybe.
Thanks T,
Russ

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »
What I meant by the R&P was a FULL length R&P the maximum length of the Material stock Most stock comes in 20-24' lengths.  You will use the full stroke of the R&P each load. With R&P you have an end clamp to grab the material. Then it is a continuous PUSH until you run OUT of stock.

I have a running screenset now AND I have cut you over 962 pieces 2" long(;-)

It has MORE features such as a material table to select Material From(tool table) That YOU can edit on the fly if needed. When you select the Number it presets the CUT parameters such as Materail Desc /type , Width of stock, Cut Feedrate, ETC. Then creates a custom CUTFILE just for that application and loads the system ready to cut.

You can FRO the CUT Feedrate OR the BarFeed Feddrate ON THE FLY.

It has a Parts counter both Num of parts, Num of CUT parts and Num of Parts to go.

It also has a Stop "Reload Stock" Flashy LED that you cannot ignore,  it is a FULL page large and VERY blinky. (;-)

Make have to build a new saw now(;-)

(;-) TP