Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:29:21 PM

Author Topic: I need a new pc  (Read 5028 times)

I need a new pc
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »
Can I get a few links to a new computer capable of running mach through a parallel port? Finding one with the right db25 port is getting to be impossible it seems.
Re: I need a new pc
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »
I would like to get one with a warranty. The cheap eBay computer I just bought 4months ago was a pain. It was a refurbished new. First the memory was bad. Ordered new, now the hard drive.

I guess I could also get a motion controller.Id still like a few links if someone had a min, Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:23:34 AM »
Just in case you didnt know, a lot of new computers that dont look like they have a parallel port actually do. Instead of having the port on the back panel like normal they have a header on the motherboard which you can connect a ribbon cable and backplane port to.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
I was not aware, and Thanks for the reply.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »
I have an Atom mobo in one of my machines, it does have the port on it but I use an external controller. I did however run the driver test at all different frequencies and right up to 100KHz it was the cleanest I have ever seen. I never actually ran anything from the port though so it may not have worked as well as it looked like it would but that would be unlikely.
The mobo was an ASUS AT5NM10-I

Hood
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
The parallel ports are the problem. Newer computers are not using them.  Also you have to be sure yours is a 32 pin not 64.

I have a guy in SW FL that just set me up with a used Dell with 2 parallel ports.  The computer works great, 90 day warranty  and he is there for support. (he has lots of them)

I paid $300 that included a flat screen monitor, 2 ports, mouse and up dated Video card.

Let me know if you need his name.
Only one way to Get-er-Done......Do-er-Right!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »
One problem is you never know what you'll get buyn a cheap eBay computer. Mach3 is hard on them, its not un heard of. Once you download mach3 it likely voided any warranty.

I bought a refurbished computer like 4months ago. I got it, it worked fine. I loaded mach3 got the blue screen sayn memory bootload problem. I orderd new RAM and a reboot cd.(week and a half lost) Ran that and it worked ok. Every few times I turned on the pc I'd get the screen again. It went away after a restart. I made some very nice 3d work a few lithophanes that turned out great. Then a blue screen happened again with the same error. While on the phone with tech s
upport(who hate the fact that you have a older pc) my hard drive now went. So what to do?  Get a new hard drive? Get a new pc with a warranty. Get a usb motion controller and a pc without a parallel port. Idk Im not rich and already spent thousands on what I have. I haven't recouped much if any money yet. 

I have a question. I setup used a xylotex 3 axis setup. I just got a lathe attachment that has a gecco drive on it that requires another parallel port. Can I use a dual parallel port pci card to run both the xylotex controller and the gecco drive on the other at the same time?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »
Not sure, the dual pieces I have seen are more or less an A/B switch....Either/Or.  If that is the case it would only be faster than unplugging and re-plugging in.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
Getting over my head.  I do not have a lot of experience with the dual parallel ports.  The only time I used one it was an A or B port.  The use was to have 2 printers set up so you could print 1 copy on plain paper and switch to letterhead. 

I have not had the need to try other devices.