Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:35:32 PM

Author Topic: keranla Speed & Mach locking up  (Read 6482 times)

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
keranla Speed & Mach locking up
« on: May 27, 2012, 03:40:51 PM »
Can tto high of sa kernal speed cause Mach3 (latest verision) cause Mach3 to lock up after a few minutes (aboy 45mins? That's the only change I recall making so it makes sense. However, the PC apearred to running fine during the driver tesy.

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
Re: keranla Speed & Mach locking up
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »
Can too high of a kernal speed cause Mach3 (latest verision)
to lock up after a few minutes (about 45mins? That's the only change I recall making so it makes sense. However, the PC appeared to be running fine during the driver test.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:28:03 PM »
If you have a relatively high Time in Int then a higher kernel speed leaves less time for your computer to do everything else other than pulsing and can make the computer crash.
Hood

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
Re: Kernal Speed & Mach locking up
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »
Sorry, Hood can you be more specific about the time in Int? This may help others as well.

(BTW, sorry about the goofy typos in the first post. Traveling for the holidays and watching my daughter drive on the interstate with new drivers license was scary enough. I really thought it made sense until I got a better chance to read what I wrote). Plus this was being done on a new BlackBerry LOL!

Maybe one of the moderators can straighten out the Subject Line.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:02:11 PM by Vogavt »
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 11:35:46 PM »
I had the same problem, and Hood set me straight.  Lower your Kernel speed.  I dropped to 60KHz, and all is better

Thanks  again Hood!

Steve
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »
Keep in mind there is absolutely NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER to setting your kernel speed any higher than the minimum necessary to achieve your desired rapid speed.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »
HimyKabibble-  I had to keep my speed up because I am using 30 to 1 gearboxes.  It slowed my rapids down some, but I can live with it

Steve

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 03:04:42 AM »
Sorry, Hood can you be more specific about the time in Int? This may help others as well.

The Time in Int can be seen on the Diagnostics page and what it is is the time that Mach needs to do its pulsing properly.
The Time in Int will not vary much at all on a computer with different kernel frequencies as it is computer specific and not kernel dependant.
Where the problem comes is different kernels produce a different interrupt time and if the time in int (time in interrupt) is high then it means there is less time for the computer to do all the other things it needs to do other than the actual pulsing.

So say your time in int is 10 then at 25KHz kernel there is 30uS left for the computer to do its thing (1second/25,000 = 0.000040Seconds or 40uS. 40uS-10uS = 30uS) So your computer is 25% pulsing engine 75% everything else.

At 45KHz kernel the interrupt is now down to 22uS so with the Time in Int being 10 in the above example there is only 12uS for the computer as the pulsing engine is taking  almost 50% of the interrupt.

At 100KHz it would be even worse, in fact it would be critical as there would be no time at all for anything other than pulsing and your computer would be totally locked up.

So as you can see there is a good reason not to have the kernel higher than you need and even if you do need it high it may not be possible on that particular computer. 10 is quite a high value for the Time in Int and yours may be a lot lower, this computer I am typing on is about 3, if I recall, so even at 100KHz it is still only 33% pulsing engine and 77% left for the rest of the computers functions, which includes everything else Mach does apart from the actual pulsing and also everything else Windows itself does.

Hood
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:12:21 AM by Hood »

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
Re: Kernal Speed & Mach locking up
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
Thanks guys!

That appears to have been the culprit.

I had to go all the way back to 25kHz. Running 3.39 hours without a glitch.

Now I'm off to retuning the motors......

;D

Vogavt (a.k.a - Stone Age computer man)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:11:54 AM »
Hope it continues to work :)
Out of curiosity what is your Time in Int?
Hood