Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:33:41 AM

Author Topic: Arduino (UNO) ModBus and Mach3  (Read 71456 times)

Arduino (UNO) ModBus and Mach3
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »
HI,

This will be my third week I'm trying to get my Arduino to run any one of my Stepper motors through Mach3  :o.

I took some screen shots see if you can find what I might of had configured wrong any suggestions will be very welcome.

I have read so many of the links on this site but not one of them helped.

1. Modbus Installed tested and working using Test ModBus Application

2. My Ports And Pins Setup Screen Config >> Ports & Pins

3. Motor Output Config I"m using
      Digital pin 2 For X.  and pin 3 for direction
      Digital pin 4 for Y.  and pin 5 for direction
      Digital pin 6 for Z.  and pin 7 for direction

please feel free to mail support@killarneynet.co.za me I so am enjoying this chalange and am so confused.

Thank you
Re: Arduino (UNO) ModBus and Mach3
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »
Oh and one more pictue I left out Function Cfg's >> Setup Serial Modbus Control the Modbus Config screen

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 04:01:30 AM »
What exactly are you trying to do with the Arduino?

By default - Mach controls your stepper drivers via the PARALLEL PORT - NOT via modbus (serial or TCP).

If alternatively you're trying to use your Arduino as a USB based motion controller for Mach - i.e. like the Smoothstepper et al, then you'll need to write a plugin for Mach and the firmware for the Arduino.

Either way Modbus has nothing to do with it. To put it another way, you appear to have your Arduino configured OK as a modbus slave but that has NOTHING to do with (axis) motor control.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 04:12:09 AM »
Hi thank you for the fast response.

So is there a way to get a comprehensive tutorial or guide how to get Mach3 to talk to Arduino Mega/Uno to do milling ?

Thank you

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 04:45:19 AM »
Hi

Mach is running thousands of Mills etc. around the world without an Arduino in sight. That's what Mach does. Can you explain what it is that you want the Arduino to bring to the party?

Ian
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:43:25 AM »
Hi again,

Okay I hear what you are saying, I think I was side tracked here perhaps, I was following a thred from some guys blog and understood he did his milling machine this way. 

Way forward

So I have 3 x sparkfun easydriver boards and  3 x stepper motors, I will attempt to run the sparkfun stepper motor boards directly of the Parallel port instead of the Arduino board, there should be enough juice from the Parallel port.

I will update this thread with my progress and hopefully it will help someone else. 

Thank you Stirling, you have been a great help "eye openner" and I very much appreciate your help.

Kind Regards, Will be updating this thread in the next month while the project takes of.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:16:48 AM »
Okay I hear what you are saying, I think I was side tracked here perhaps, I was following a thred from some guys blog and understood he did his milling machine this way. 
I know some folks use an Arduino running a gcode interpreter to drive their mills but personally I think they're making hard work of it. Why would you do that when far superior PC based software like Mach/LinuxCNC is available? anyway - each to their own.

So I have 3 x sparkfun easydriver boards and  3 x stepper motors, I will attempt to run the sparkfun stepper motor boards directly of the Parallel port instead of the Arduino board, there should be enough juice from the Parallel port.
Easydriver inputs, Arduino inputs/outputs, Parallel port's inputs/outputs  - all TTL and similar current sourcing/sinking specs. You'll be fine.

Just remember the easydriver motor outputs can only source 750mA max so you're not exactly talking big power here - hope your mill's only a tiddler.  ;)

Thank you Stirling, you have been a great help "eye openner" and I very much appreciate your help.
No probs - have fun.

Ian
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:56:23 AM »
Hi Ian,

Wow as a moderator you are a really helpfull guy, you bet I will stay with your site.  Have been to many sites and one can expect half the assistance and feedback.

So now yes this is just a small prototype, once I get the little motors to turn I can build a basic X - Y - Z machine which will eventually pave the way for a larger one that can do some milling. 

I only really want to mill PC boards as a conveniece, and my dad is in the metal industry and is super interested in getting some metal cut to size and it looks like Mach3 is the ideal candidate with all its settings.

So will keep posting feedback to this site.

chow

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »
Wow as a moderator you are a really helpfull guy

LOL - I suspect there may be a few reading this who are now choking on their beer - but thanks anyway.

Ian
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:07:54 AM by stirling »

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:51:55 PM »
 :o  :o  :o *** spewing Beer and choking ***
fun times