Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:43:16 PM

Author Topic: Arduino (UNO) ModBus and Mach3  (Read 71457 times)

Re: Arduino (UNO) ModBus and Mach3
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 03:10:49 AM »
Hi,

So I got the 3 x Axis working, but when I try to fine tune the motors for some reason the X-Axis seems to not work fast, I tried differend hardware changing pins etc etc, eventually changed X for Y on all the electronics, but it seems to jitter. 

And I have gone through all the software configurations possible on that screen acceleration / speed phase for the pulse and direction, but still very jittery?

Is this a known bug with the software ?

thaks

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 04:50:48 AM »
Hi - There are NO bugs in Mach   ;D

First - please confirm you've read the Mach3 section on downloads/Mach3 at the top of this page. In particular the bits about laptop, 32 bit windows etc. Then read the install/config guide in menu support/documentation/"Mach3Mill Install and Config Guide" - particularly section 2.2. and running the PP driver test. If you're still stumped then tell us about your system - PC, OS, Parallel port type etc.

Ian
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
So its 21:42 CAT,  I have got the basic motor running with sparkfun easydrive.  I have started building the very basic prototype 'to shy to take photo, perhaps on completion'. Tomorrow I'll go shop for 8 ball beatings to give it a smooth opeation.  I guess I'll learn as I struggle along.  Thank you for all your responses and support, this is really a great site.
Thank you again, will keep updating progress.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »
Hi Stirling I have gone through first three videos and that is how I got the basics going.   I have found running a basic milling program the X axis works well, only time it jitters is when I try to tune it.   No worries after a struggle I found a workaround.
Will keep progress posted, thank you
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 03:13:36 AM »
Hi,

Just come back from holiday and back on project for 3 days.  So I built a basic machine and will send pics with next post.  But now I can not get the motors to run properly, they run very strong and very slow.  Using the 
- easydriver from Spark fun and
- motors are 0686A 12V and 0.68A. 

What I have tried to get them to run better
1. Config >> Motor Tunning and Setup
     >> Steps per
     >> Volocity In's or mm's per min.
     >> Acceleration in's or mm's/sec/sec
     >> Step Pulse 1 -5 us
     >> Dir Pulse 0 - 5

Any ideas why they are running so very slow ?

Thank you

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 03:15:36 AM »
Addendum to previous Post....

And when playing around with the same settings I sometimes just get the motor to make a noise but not move at all.

Thanks again, any feedback would be awesome "I feel I'm so close to cracking this"

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 03:48:32 AM »
But now I can not get the motors to run properly, they run very strong and very slow.  Using the 
- easydriver from Spark fun and
- motors are 0686A 12V and 0.68A.
So by running "properly" you mean you'd like them to run faster? 

What voltage are you running your motors?

The problem is that if I'm looking at the right specs, that motor has an inductance of 30mH which means for "optimum" torque/speed it requires 175Vdc which is a tad above the 30Vdc max that the easydriver can handle.

I'm afraid it looks like an example of the classic motor/driver/power-supply mismatch.

Ian
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 04:01:07 AM »
Hi Stirling,

I was looking at the spec from the supplier http://www.mantech.co.za/Datasheets/Products/FL57ST.pdf, looks like the FL57ST76-0686A runs on 12V.  I will further investigate, do you have any recommended sites?

I have a variable power supply and have set the max to 12V and 0.68A, so I tried to push up to 30V and the motor behavious is the same but more interestingly on the power supply it is showing 8V ?????.  WIll have to investigate this.

Thank you

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 06:01:18 AM »
I was looking at the spec from the supplier http://www.mantech.co.za/Datasheets/Products/FL57ST.pdf, looks like the FL57ST76-0686A runs on 12V.  I will further investigate, do you have any recommended sites?
No. You misunderstand how to drive steppers. 12V is the RATED voltage NOT the voltage you need to run it at to get decent speed/torque. I suggest a little reading. You could do worse than start here http://www.geckodrive.com/gecko/images/cms_files/Step%20Motor%20Basics%20Guide.pdf

I have a variable power supply and have set the max to 12V and 0.68A, so I tried to push up to 30V and the motor behavious is the same but more interestingly on the power supply it is showing 8V ?????.  WIll have to investigate this.
I hope you don't mean an autotransformer/variac.

Ian
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 03:29:21 AM »
Hi,

I will get on to the link you passed me on to me, I have so lucky to have some one been kind enough to assist in this way, and will be glad if you could push me in the correct direction by giving some other links about Stepper motors and theory.

Oh and the power supply is a variable one, not sure what the insides are but it has variable voltage and variable Amp settings which show on the front pannel with LED displays.  it has the ability to run up to 30V and 3A.  Reason why I'm using it is because if by accident I short something it does not damage anything but just tempararily shuts down.

Anyways I'm excited to get on to the PDF you sent me and would love to master Stepper motor controllers.

Thank you Stirling
And again what an awesome Moderator.