Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:01:24 AM

Author Topic: Pokeys to Modbus to PLC?  (Read 7400 times)

Pokeys to Modbus to PLC?
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:28:57 AM »
I am converting my Dyna 4400 with 10 pocket tool changer.  I have a Automation Direct 205 loaded with 240cpu, 3 relay, 4 input, 1 output modules.  I tried to order CNC4PCs M1(backordered) and M11 Modbus cards.  Arturo said that Pokeys is the future.  The 56E looks Great, but how (or can) do I get the 56E to talk to my PLC?  Do I need to use the ModIO card and can it connect with the 56E?

So what are my options?
Thank you for your time, Bill

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Pokeys to Modbus to PLC?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:51:25 PM »
If you have a PLC why do you need a pokeys? Does your PLC not have a serial Modbus connection? If it does then you can connect direct to Mach.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »

Thanks for your reply Hood.
Yes my PLC has a RS232C Port.  However, from my reading of the Install and Config manual and my lurking in the Modbus forum, I assumed that I needed to go though a Modbus device.  That can be a problem of mine when I ASSuMe, if you know what I mean... 
If I use the Serial port, how does Mach3 recognize the PLC, and would I need a plug-in or some other software? 

Thank You for your time, it is Greatly appreciated. Bill

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:41:59 AM »
As long as your PLC supports modbus via the serial. Mine does, (Automation Direct  DL06)
There is a plugin you can  use but I prefer the standard non-plugin interface. This is a screenshot of my setup page.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:54:36 AM »
Just looked and it seems the 240 CPU doesnt support Modbus :(
Hood
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »
What would be the best solution, Modio or eBay the 205 (i paid $135) and buy an DL05 or DL06. Or?
Thanks again for your time, Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:45:39 AM »
I think the 250-1 cpu supports Modbus but it is £290 alone.
 A DL06 PLC would be cheaper. The D0-06DR is $270, just depends how many I/O you need as standard its only 20 ins and 16 relay outs. It can be expanded with up to 4 modules but they are not just a few $.
The DL05 is cheaper but only 8 ins and 6 outs and only 1 expansion slot.
You could use a PoKeys, it has 55 configurable I/O but its only  5v I/Oso you need to shield to be sure of not picking up noise. Also you would have to do your toolchange entirely in VB in Mach rather than the ladder handling it.
The ModIO I am not sure about, it was a bit limited on I/O I think but not sure of the specs.
decisions decisions  :D

Hood
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 03:10:18 PM »
Thanks again Hood.
I have my ebay eye on a 250cpu.  If that doesn't work out I will look for a DL05 or DL06.  If I were to go to the latter(s), would the relay model be the best choice for mach3?  And could I get by with other DL05, DL06 models, or is there a model I should stay away from?

My Tool changer has a stepper for the carousel.  I will use the axis method for now and get a H0-CTRIO latter. And 2 AC motors, one for the swing arm, and one for the tool clamp- unclamp, along with a handfull of travel limit sensors.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »
The ones with relay outs are what I would choose as you can then have each bank of 4 relays either sinking or sourcing and can have AC or DC on them, so they are the most versatile. Input power to the PLC will depend on what you have, I prefer the ones with the mains AC input for power source but you can get DC ones if you prefer.

Hood
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 12:27:08 AM »
Hello Bill:
Take a look at the Cubloc I/O modules, www.cubloc.com. They make several different base boards and cpu modules depending on how much I/O you need. They are programmable with their own “Cubloc Studio” program, which runs Basic, and Ladder logic simultaneously, with on-screen debugging. The manual is very comprehensive, with examples.  Keypads, relays, LED displays, Panel push buttons, simply plug into the base board. The connection to the computer is through (2) RS-232 cables, one for machine control/Modbus, and the other for downloading your program.  The manual is excellent, with many examples.  The cost of the modules and components is very competitive.