Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:32:53 AM

Author Topic: Index pulse C3 and G540  (Read 19546 times)

Index pulse C3 and G540
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
I have a C3 index pulse card set up on a G540, I get the index pulse LED to light when I rotate the  
spindle by hand, but if I turn it on the LED flashes very sporadically and when I try to read the spindle rpm I get nothing
Also tried a threading routine and when posting the gcode I get an error saying no spindle feedback when returning to the
program screen. I can try and take some screen shots and post pics when I get home. I am trying to turn a 24tpi internal
thread in 6061. I am just starting out trying to really understand mach turn now, I have used Mach3 mill for a
couple of years so I feel pretty confident with that.
I converted this lathe last year and am just now finding the time learn mach turn haha
Any tips or help would greatly be appreciated
Jayson

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Index pulse C3 and G540
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:48:46 AM »
Jason,
To do threading you need to have the index working properly.
In Configuration >Ports & Pins check the following:
- Index is enabled - also  port and pins are correct
- Timing is not enabled
- Use Spindle Feed Back in Sync Mode is checked also Spindle Speed Averaging

You may want to play with the Index Debounce & Debounce Interval values.

I will assume that you are using registered copy of Mach.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »
I did not have the spindle feedback in sync mode checked.
I am still manually operating the spindle on my lathe, no vfd and still changing belts
But I still can not read true spindle speed. When in cycle mode
I have the belts setup for 150 rpm (I have not verified actual with a photo or contact rpm meter)
When I manually start the spindle I press the spindle button on mach turn and it reads 177 rpm, when I stop the spindle Manually)
the dro reads between 50-100rpm with the spindle off but jumps back up to 177 rpm (steady, no fluctuation?)
once I manually start the spindle.
This is on a licensed copy, I have two licensed copies for my mill and lathe.

Jayson

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 12:57:22 PM »
Not sure what you are meaning by
"But I still can not read true spindle speed. When in cycle mode"
Do you think the 177RPM is wrong?
If you attach your xml I will have a look through your settings to see if there is a problem with them.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
I will post that up today Hood, thank you.

Jayson
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:40:14 PM »
Here is the xml

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:38:30 AM »
xml looks to be fine so a few questions.

When you  are getting the steady 177RPM showing do you think that is wrong?

You said you stop the spindle manually but it still reads 50 to 100, by manually are you meaning you just shut off the spindle and not tell Mach its off?
If so then that is likely why you are still getting the readings, likely two things, first Mach is still searching for a pulse as you have Not told it not to and also averaging may make the readings more persistent.

You say you dont get a spindle speed reading in cycle mode, can you explain that? What I should say is you have to tell Mach the spindle is on or it wont look for the spindle speed, whether that is via the button in Mach for spindle or whether it is via M3/M4 it doesnt matter but you must use one.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »
Exactly Hood,
Mach dosen't know that a manual switch is turned on or off  in this case.......

1- User  clicks the Spindle button to inform Mach that the spindle is on 
   ( even though the spindle is already rotating there will be no rpm reading until Mach is informed)

2- then,  if  you  turn your spindle off then the DRO will indicate some value for the rpm which is not true
    ( may not even be  repeatable to the same value...rpm value just drops to some value)

3- then when you manualy turn the spindle on the DRO will not update until you again click the spindle button to
    inform Mach

As far as not showing the correct rpm that is a different matter......

RICH
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »
Thanks for the help guys, I just assumed that if the spindle was manually turned off Mach would read 0 rpm
As far as the true rpm comment, was more a general statement to explain that the led for the index pulse does not flash every time
the C3 flashes, is that normal?

Jayson

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
The index pulse on screen can not keep up with the true index pulse due to the refresh rate of the screen. It is being seen correctly by the driver however so no worries there, it is purely a visual thing.
Hood