Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:51:32 PM

Author Topic: PART CNC PART MECHANICAL  (Read 28903 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: PART CNC PART MECHANICAL
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2012, 07:09:53 AM »
Can you elaborate on the "Motorun" a bit?

Hood
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2012, 05:07:15 AM »
Hi Hood
Its a very old one of these and the company have responded once with a not very helpfull reply.
http://www.motorun.co.uk/
As far as I know it just changes 1 phase to 3 phase and I might need to change it for a more modern one
Graham

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2012, 05:51:28 AM »
Ok its a static or rotary converter, it will likely work fine but if its a static you will need a pilot motor in parallel with the converters output and the lathes motor to enable you to make frequent stop/start/reversals.
How you will control the stop/start/reversal depends on how your lathe is currently started, can you give a bit of info on that?
Hood
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
Hi Hood
This is something I drew a long time ago (originally in Autocad) hope you understand it.
All motor controls are via levers on the headstock. Stop/Start and FW/REV.
I once tried to run a suds pump off it but it did not like it one bit when the main drive was started.
How can you tell if its static or rotary the paperwork I got with it does not say??
Graham

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
If its a rotary there will be a motor incorporated into it.
I think I follow the wiring ;)
I think really what you would need is a pair of suitably sized interlocked contactors, one for Fwd the other Rev. You would then need two relays to switch the contactors coils so that you could  fwd/rev from Mach.
Spindle speed will not be an option for you, it will still have to be set manually via your headstock.
Hood
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2012, 03:48:52 AM »
Hi Hood
I do not think its rotary there is no feel/sign of another electric motor.
I understand what you mean by interlocking relays but what if I ditch the converter and fit something more modern and stay in one appropriate gear?
I have read a bit about VDF? and the even more modern VD? converters and there are some posts about them on this website. Are they worth the effort?
Graham

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2012, 06:03:16 AM »
You could use a pilot motor to basically make it a rotary converter.
As for a VFD, not a huge fan personally but they do work well enough as long as you realise what their limitations are. Lots of people think that you can basically set the spindle speed to whatever you want, whilst that is  true the torque drops way off at low revs and on a lathe that is where you need the torque. You can of course use one gear on the headstock for high speeds and if needing low speeds then use another, you will then be able to vary speeds in these ranges, within reason.

Hood
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2012, 12:34:18 PM »
Hi Hood
Thanks for your replies but I think I will stay with the set up I have which is working very well. I am just getting lazy and want to press and forget!!!
Graham