Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:36:25 AM

Author Topic: Spindle Index Pulse Problem  (Read 19012 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle Index Pulse Problem
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »
20mA is fine. Just connect direct to the screw terminals on Port 3, there are set out as follows,
1A (Port 3, pin 1 to Mach)
1B (Port 3, pin 2 to Mach)
1Z (Port 3, pin 3 to Mach)
5V
0V(Gnd)
2A+ (Port 3, pin 4 to Mach)
2A-
2B+ (Port 3, pin 5 to Mach)
2B-
2Z+ (Port 3, pin 6 to Mach)
2Z-

The inputs 2A+ etc are differential inputs, that means you can connect differential encoders or MPGs to them however you can use them as single ended inputs also. You would in that case just ignore the 2*- ones and connect to the + ones/

The 1A, 1B and 1Z are single ended inputs

So You have a total of 6 inputs available on Port 3 of the USB SS three of which can be connected differential or single ended.

For your Index pulse I would just use 1A, and take the power from 5V and Gnd, you would then just set the Index in Ports and pins to Port 3 pin 1.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
Have you got the shield properly Grounded to a single point in your control?
If you attach your xml I will look and see if there is an issue with it.
Is there any way you can spin the spindle with a cordless drill or similar so that you can see if the index pulse is fine without the VFD being on?

Hood
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 06:14:12 PM »
Tried the cordless drill, got huge numbers...like 8 digits. Drill probably runs 400RPM or so.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 06:27:28 PM »
Attached is my XML
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »
Update- I moved power and ground to the SS as well. Works perfectly now.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 05:54:54 PM »
Likely the problem was the extra layer of isolation via the breakout board, assuming it is isolated. The issue when putting in to Port3 and not using its power would likely have been there was nothing for the SS to reference the signal to, connecting the Gnd of it to the Gnd terminal may have been enough but personally I think powering fully from port 3 is the best way.
Glad its working now.

Hood
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies, Hood. We're lucky to have someone as helpful as you.  I understand that threading is unavailable in the demo version. What does this mean?  The G76 cycle still appears to function. However, at best I was able to produce a corn cob effect by using it. It appears to have major fluctuations in pitch. Does this have anything to do with being a demo version, or might I need to better compensate for axis acceleration?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 07:10:30 PM »
I am 99.9% certain that is what you will get with demo mode, I have seen reports of it sort of working but not doing a proper thread and that seems to tie in with what you are getting. I have  never tried myself in demo as I dont fancy risking crashing my lathe as at best I would break a tip, at worst I could rip off my new turret and have 100Kg  flying through the air at me ;D
Hood
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 08:09:38 PM »
Perhaps I should finally register my copy of Mach. I've been hesitant to do so, not because I'm a cheapskate, but because I don't want to spend any more money on this project than I have to until I'm sure it's actually going to work. If anyone else is reading, please confirm this is what happens using the Demo version. Just so I can stop pulling my hair out for tonight.

Kevin

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 08:22:25 PM »
You'll just need to splurge and buy Mach if you want to thread.
RICH