Hello Guest it is May 29, 2024, 03:36:08 AM

Author Topic: "Magic Cubes" for Mach and How to  (Read 19641 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
"Magic Cubes" for Mach and How to
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:44:43 PM »
Here is a program to make those Cubes inside of Cubes. For your Mach Machine.

Scott
fun times
Re: "Magic Cubes" for Mach and How to
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 06:04:24 PM »
I did this a while ago......

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,687 2,687
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 06:42:11 PM »
Hi,

Have you made any parts from this NC code?

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 06:58:33 PM »
Fixittt,

If you run my code, you will see that the Undercutting tool, ALSO, cuts the inner cubes free......

I like your work, very small, very nice.

Scot
fun times

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:28:52 PM »
I found that the IJ mode had to be INC.  If I understand the docs correctly the end mill you ground down has to be 3/4" dia?

Vince

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,687 2,687
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:38:54 PM »
Hi Scott,

it must be me but I still dont see where the upper two bores are cut, the undercut tool moves in a square so what cuts the large bores?

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 07:51:59 PM »
I did mine on a Maxnc 15 Ol machine.  ohh say 8 months ago or so  maybe 6... hell I dont remember.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 09:49:40 AM »
Graham,

The Upper bores, are cut by the Undercut tool as well, remember it is STILL and end mill, just modified. When It plunges in for the larger bores (On my machine it plunges slowly). It contacts only about 1/2 the bottom of the End mill, once it reaches the bottom of that level, it then, moves in the Square path. 

I hope that clears it up for you, I tried my hand at posting up a Simulation, AND a Simulation "Tool Path" from my CAM Program. BUT, I cannot figure out how to use the Wencouder (MS movie screen capture utility), to capture my Paths to show you.

If you are worried, cut your self a 0.75" Diameter End mill as described, and put yourself a 2" cube of "Insulating sheet foam", (you can get these foam sheets from home depot), or what ever kinda foam you want. Cut it on foam so you can see what I am talking about.

Scott
fun times

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 08:20:06 PM »
I spent 3 hours last night grinding down a 3/4" end mill  for the special tool to make the cubes.  I should have ran the program dry a couple of times to check things out, but I did not.  There is a problem with the program (side 1) around line 7000.  Earlier in the program a 3/4 end mill cuts a .835" hole all the way through the cube.  At line 7000 it starts to cut the second cube with the special cutter.  It makes a move that is bigger than the .835" hole and snap.  I don't see how this program could have ever made any Magic cubes.  To work properly the 3/4" end mill should make three size holes, the biggest first, the a smaller one for the second cube and finally the .835 for the last cube. 

Vince

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 08:55:54 AM »
N4NV:

READ the note below the yours to Graham............

Where I note, that since the special mill end cuts, I had to SLOW the plunge rate WAY down. ON my machine, I slowed the plunge rate down to 0.5"/min. I may have been able to go faster, but my machine doesn't handle plunge cuts well..........

Also, in the Read me doc's, I note that you will have to adjust all the feeds, speeds, and spindle for YOUR machine. The G-code was for my machine. Since the tool was a custom tool, I had to adjust it by watching how it cut, the foam block first, and say to my self, nope gotta cut that plunge down, my machine want push that.

Sorry about your wasted time,

Scott
fun times