Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:26:37 PM

Author Topic: "Magic Cubes" for Mach and How to  (Read 19228 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: "Magic Cubes" for Mach and How to
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 09:42:03 AM »
Scott,
    It is no waste of time if people are learning. Thanks for your contributions. ;)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 06:07:40 PM »
The program failure has nothing to do with the plunge rate.  One side 1 with the special cutter, it plunges down to cut the center cube cuts a square, then retracts to cut the middle cube, it does not come all the way out.  The cutter is still in a .835" hole.  Anyone who tries to use the program make sure you single block through it for each side and make sure you verify what it is doing.

Vince
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 09:10:56 PM »
hello everybody 
if you want to have less problems doing your cubes you might make plugs to hold the inner cubes together while machining them the plugs are made to replace the missing metal that you have just removed and hold all the parts together so they wont break your tool . on a lathe you have to make a square bushing to hold your cube could also work on the milling . another method for metal cubes is to put epoxy after each face you cut then remove the epoxy after the cube is done .

Graham thanks for posting.

Marcel
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 05:00:34 PM by marcel beaudry »

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 09:15:54 PM »
I finally made some cubes in a cube. Actually there are 5 cubes in all. The material is some type of bullet resistant plastic. A piece 12"x12"x2.1" is over $300. I don't know what it is called. A friend gave me a scrap piece. It machines like Delrin. It has a lot more flex than Delrin though. It was hard to hold it tight without flexing it too much. My friend says it can be flame polished but I had not had the nerve to try. The machining took about 14 minutes a side with a total of 4 tools, a drill, 5/16" end mill, 1/2" dovetail cutter and a 3/4" dovetail cutter.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:31:06 AM by N4NV »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 09:47:11 PM »
Looks good, I know it feels good to make things like that. Study up and don't rush it but polished would look neat.

Brett

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 11:24:37 PM »
Very well done

Marcel Beaudry

ynneb

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 08:02:08 AM »
I have one of those sitting on my desktop.
Thanks to Marcel's generosity.
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 10:55:34 AM »
I finally made some cubes in a cube. Actually there are 5 cubes in all. The material is some type of bullet resistant plastic. A piece 12"x12"x2.1" is over $300. I don't know what it is called. A friend gave me a scrap piece. I machines like Delrin. It has a lot more flex than Delrin though. It was hard to hold it tight without flexing it too much. My friend says it can be flame polished but I had not had the nerve to try. The machining took about 14 minutes a side with a total of 4 tools, a drill, 5/16" end mill, 1/2" dovetail cutter and a 3/4" dovetail cutter.

Did you use the same code with the dovetail cutters? If not could you post it. Also I would love to make these but I have a Taig mill and can only use up to a 3/8" shank endmill. Do they make endmills with a bigger cutter than the shank?

"Gravity, its not just a good idea its the law"

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 09:48:39 PM »
Did you use the same code with the dovetail cutters? If not could you post it. Also I would love to make these but I have a Taig mill and can only use up to a 3/8" shank endmill. Do they make endmills with a bigger cutter than the shank?

I used the program that was listed in Digital Machinist.  I don't know how to attach files here.

Vince

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 10:23:13 PM »
Hey Vince, Did you polish the cubes? Was wondering how that turned out. I have attached a link to a link  ;D that will help you with inserting files.

Brett