Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:16:05 AM

Author Topic: Bit diving when doing tabs  (Read 7326 times)

Re: Bit diving when doing tabs
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:04:25 PM »
Sir,
You are a gentleman and a scholar, I thank you. I appreciate your help thus far and will wait patiently to see if your buddy can turn anything up. --And yes, I have found that LC DOES do some funky stuff from time to time. --I guess I am getting used to it.  :)

Thanks again,
Chris
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »
ha ... you're too kind.
Here is a tab manual. I think our problem is beyond a manual though.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,12078.msg107109.html#msg107109

Good luck Chris,
Russ
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 10:25:10 PM »
Chris,
Your pic was very small, so I enlarged it for better viewing.
Russ

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:38 PM »
Haven't read all of this. I did a tutorial on tabing and thought it was posted in the Lazycam Thread.
I will say this about tabbing, whatever I was able to hack at and find out, is in the manual.
Some times LC for whatever reason just gets wierd and best thing to do is just save whatever as a Lcam and as Russ said shut it down and restart.
Maybe will have some time tomorrow and read what your up to.......

Right now fixing the wifes pc that got a virus and wipped it bad......only 55 more windows updates to be installed and then all the other stuff to fix ...PITA...
and fortunately had a 2 year old image made of it so i didn't loose the operating system.....

Two hours and on page 85 of the stupid manual found how to turn the bluetooth on,
 hey  :)hey  :)  manuals suck sometimes........ ;D ::)

RICH
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »
Thanks Rich,

I gotta tell ya, I am a bit of a "RTFM snob" myself and it drives me nuts when someone asks a question that is easily found or googleable. I think I did my homework in the google category and I studied all the manual had to tell me, but I gotta tell you, I had the darn'dest time trying to do any searching here. The search engine for this forum seems to be as tricky as LazyCam --depending on my search terms, I got either A)nothing or B) a fire hose of a stuff that didn't pertain to this issue. I suppose it does not help that the particular word I am working with is "tab" --I can tell you how to toggle the jog window on and off, though!  :)

At any rate, I would love to take a look at your tutorial. --And I appreciate, in advance, any other thoughts you may have on the subject.

As for the strip/reload you got going on there... I wish you the best of luck, no, best of patience on that one. I personally strip my machines down to a bare drive with just the system about once a year. It is amazing how much there is to put back on. It is also amazing how many weeks go by of you noticing you still have something else to re-install. I don't envy you and I am thinking happy thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:44 PM »
Chris,
  I posted the link to the manual a couple of posts back.
There's mor in the Members Docs near the bottom end of the forum home page.

I've gotten tabs to work here 10 times in a row. (afraid to try 11)

Here's a quick rundown:

Select the profile to offset
Select the tool from the offsets tab and create the offset
Remove the original vectors      (Rem. Objects)
In the Project tree, click the Offset layer
The Layer tab will open. Tool info should be there complete. Set Rapid H, Cut start, Cut depth then click Set Layer
Click Chains tab, Set Length, thknss, # of tabs, OK
Works here everytime now.

Cheers,
Russ
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
Well, this is a little bitter-sweet. Your system worked...   ...but I don't know why...

It is looking like this is an issue with "order of operations" when changing things in LazyCam. Alas, after doing it your way (step-by-step) I can't seem to remember how I had been doing it in the past. As a matter of fact, now I can't seem to replicate what I did in the first place nor can I seem to replicate the results (the incorrect results, the "dive"). I suppose that is a good thing and I should not look a gift horse in the mouth, but man --It is always nice when you have problems like this to be able to "toggle" between the wrong way and the right way to confirm and/or pinpoint the exact issue. I just can't seem to do this.

To cut to the chase, it does seem that something somewhere needs to be done in a specific order. Your system does this.  I think I will go with it.  :)

Once again, I appreciate the hell outta your help here. Thank you. I am going to spend the afternoon with some scrap MDF and see if I can isolate this guy a bit more. I will post anything I find here --I'm sure I am not the only one that has run into this.

-Chris
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »
Hi Chris,
    Glad it's working better for ya.
Wish we could explain why.
There are bugs inside with minds of their own.
Be as kind as possible to them and they might cooperate.
It would take more internal work to kill them but being stuck in BETA, it's as good as it's going to get.
Luck be with you ... use the "Force".
"Endeavour to persevere".

Cheers,
Russ