Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:52:37 AM

Author Topic: Use of tools in a turret?  (Read 20091 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Use of tools in a turret?
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »
A few weeks? I knew I was slow. Hoss builds a G0704 and a 3D printer, you a tool changer? This seems trivial but as you enter the diameter into the X Dro, do you follow it by pressing enter before pressing the Touch X button? IIRC, Seems like there was a difference.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »
Yes any time you type a value into any DRO you need to press the enter key on your keyboard for it to stick.
Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »
That is what I thought i was just verifying your every move.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »
Nice work on the turret Hood and best of all it's working.
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
Hope it keeps working ;D

Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »
I am getting closer 2 tools will repeat! I will work on my misunderstanding for a bit. Thanks so much. There is hope.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2012, 12:22:17 AM »
Ok, This is what I did so far
Homed my machine to the limits, this is also machine 0.
Called for Tool 0 at the above location in the MDI line. Set X part zero and Z part zero and hit apply, save.
Then I went to tool 4 and touched the x, installed the diameter in the X part zero, hit touch X, apply, save.
Same for tool 6.
At this time tools 4 and 6 would and will repeat and end up in the correct location.
However when I try to run the procedure on tool 1, I touch in X, install diameter in the X Part Zero dro, hit touch X, apply, save.
I have then tried to touch Z and just hit 0 in the Z axis dro apply, save and I have tried it with the Z part zero dro with a 0 value, touch Z apply, save.
If I call tool 1 and procede to G1 Z0 X0 F8 (for example) the X immediately starts going the wrong direction and faults the limit switch.
Btw I still get different speeds of approach to the part depending on the tool number requested, regardless of the F rate. Once I get a little better grasp on the toolchanger set up, I am deleting all of Mach and doing a fresh install.
Thanks

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »
I cant see why it would make any difference but tool 1 in this case is the longest tool. It is actually a drill bit (.375), I touch the side of it and record X as diameter of part (.3115 )+ the diameter of the drill bit (.375)  for a .6865 offset.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2012, 03:07:28 AM »
Ok what you are doing is wrong, forget the Tool 0 part  and set whichever tool you wish to be master for the Z Zero at the end of the stock, you cant use the Z limit as master as stock length will always be different each time you place a piece in the chuck.

So procedure

1. Home
2 MDI T0404 ( if you want to use that as master for Z)
3 Move to approx dia of stock and take a cut, do not move the X after the cut or if you do then make sure you have it back to the same position it was in when taking the cut.
4. Measure the stock, enter that into X part xero DRO and  press Touch X
5 Go into tool table press apply and ok.
6. Move to end of stock ready to take a light cut and zero the Z DRO (not part zero DRO) then take a facing cut.
7.Move away and change to next tool
8. Touch off dia and enter the dia into x part zero DRO and then Touch X, apply and ok in tool table.
9 Touch off end of stock and enter 0 into Part zero DRO and press Touch Z then apply and ok in tool  table.
Repeat 8 and 9 for other tools.

For  a drill  if you touch the edge of the drill off the Dia of the stock then the value you want for X part zero DRO is stock dia + HALF drill Dia.
Hood
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:18:11 AM by Hood »

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »
I was in a dilemna in my understanding. Having read a few articles on tool setting of yours and Rich's it seems like there were a few techniques. Still dont know why just the x axis would go the wrong direction. I will try again to set it up as above.

On the using the drill bit and adding the dia of the stock to 1/2 the diameter of the bit was not working. I couldnt think of any other way it would work but as you just described. Every time I did a side touch off and entered the .499, the tip of the drill bit would be even with the OD of the stock with an X0 command. If I entered the .6865 (the addition of both stock and the drill bits diameter) it will go to the exact center. I have repeated this procedure many times to verify it. It doesnt make sense to me. Of course with all of my posting, you might wonder if anything makes sense to me.