Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:31:55 PM

Author Topic: Use of tools in a turret?  (Read 20087 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Use of tools in a turret?
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »
Ditched every one I could find. I am having some weird things occur. Very erratic. Might have to dump it alll out and start fresh. I dont know to suspect the SS or Mach or Me (ok well I can blame me as I am sure I am part of the problem). Just baffled.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
SS works fine for me, have used it on the lathe for probably 4 years and recently switched to ESS and it too works fine.

As I said I dont use the standard screenset so the extra buttons it has I am not sure what they are for, eg the one you mentioned earlier, touch X or something like that, dont have a clue what it is for. Rich I think uses the standard screenset so he should be able to help as far as they go.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »
A few comments:
-Mach assumes that G54 is the default offset, so you don't need to put G54 in the command.
  ( assuming that a G54 exists and you didn't have a call for a different fixture offset like G55)
- I don't have switches on my lathe so i need to define a home position.
- If there is a G54 and you want to test the tool moving to the part zero at a feed rate then either G0 x0.0 Z0.0   or   G01 X0.0 Z0.0 in the MDI
  for a rapid move or move at a feed rate to part zero. Clicking the Home All will take you back to home.
- One can also set the feedrate in the input box on the screen
- One can change the tool in the MDI:
   T0000 - will change to the master tool ( providing you defined tool #0 as the master)
   T0101 - changes the tool to tool #1 and its offset
   T0100 - changes the tool to tool #1 with the tool offset of the master tool
    ALL THE TOOLS ARE RELATED TO THE MASTER TOOL  AND ALSO RELATED TO EACH OTHER

When you first finish referencing your machine using the switches, you are at your home position ( open the fixtures and see if a G54 was created, if not, then you need to  
define that position by setting Set Home X & Z).  ......don't use the fancy gadgets here........ or move somehwere else and set home. Now if you touch off to the part
and set the x and z axis mach will change the G54 fixture offset.

I deliberately didn't say how to set a tool because everbody will do it differently, Hood machines a stock for setting the postion, some just move it near  0,0, and say good enough, if my microscope is attached i use it,
in the write up i used the "conventional " method which is described so often,  the main point is that you need to set the master tool and and follow thru with the others. If i say anymore you may get confused......me too! :D

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »
I tried it quite a few times attempting with and or without pressing enter, with or without pressing "part X or Z" and using only the touch button

Hmm......
My quickie simply says touch off tool #0, then touch off tool #2, and then tool#3, until you are finished touching off all of the tools.
Move the carriage any way you want, matters not where you go, but with the next tool in touch it off in a similar fashion to the same point.
As soon as you touch off a tool Mach keeps track of the tool ( the controlled point ), it knows where that tool is, when you put the next tool ...and tell Mach ..... via ithe box and touch it off, Mach does the accounting and
puts the value in the tool offset table. When your done touching them all off.....leave your pinkies off any buttons........your done with the tool table.

Do it that way maybe. Then try the machining way. BTW, you don't need to run the lathe spindle, maybe put a plastic straw in the chuck and use flexible pieces of plastic to fool around. This way if you get things mixed up
the only thing you end up with is a bent straw and twisted plastic tool.........works for me when fooling around! ::)

RICH

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 10:17:10 PM »
Hood, It wouldnt have mattered on the screenset, I would have still done it wrong the first few times :-) SS seems to work fine for the people who really understand it. I have a few problems but i cant blame it on the SS, it just adds another variable tha I am not familiar wiith. Fortunately there are people like you who are willing to share their experiences and reassure the rest of us that products do work if set up and used correctly. With all of the weirdness going on in my set up, do you think I should do a fresh install of Mach? If I did, all I would really need to save would be my xml and tool change macro wouldnt it? NFS wizards maybe?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
Rich we are way past me being confused! Eventually I will get some of it correctly. I do change the tools via MDI. Touch off tool 0? Or by touch off do you mean set my machine 0,0 to be my Tool 0's location? Then I notice you skipped tool 1, according to Hoods method, this was because all other tools vary from tool 1, correct? Tool 1 should have no offset in Z or X, correct? I like the straw idea, so would my tools! Up until this point I have been using a piece of stock .3115 in diameter, if when touching tool 2 to the X, shouldnt I have the diameter in the X part zero box upon pressing touch? Since I never touch tool 1 til the actual part is installed it baffles me how anything knows where it is.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
we are way past me being confused
Your trying to do too much at one time.  

Can you take a call? send me a PM with a tel # in the next 5 minutes and i will call you.

RICH

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:38:47 PM by RICH »

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 07:44:23 AM »
Rich, Thanks so much for the offer. Unfortunately I didnt read it til this morning ;-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 05:22:50 PM »
Btw, I didnt get anywhere yet :-) You just thought my problems were solved. In reality I chopped thru my cable/internet feed installing my dog's invisible fence (2" under the soil). So I didnt have my computer up and running (plus I was trenching and installing 2000' of cable thru the woods!) I will be back with questions!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »
I thought you were reading,studying, and experimenting.....here ya are just playing in the sand with some toys ;D

RICH