Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 03:49:32 PM

Author Topic: G84 Canned RH Tapping Cycle  (Read 16909 times)

Vmax

G84 Canned RH Tapping Cycle
« on: February 03, 2006, 10:51:55 AM »
Hi Art. Any Chance of getting the G84 code any time soon. It does not need to be Rigid, just a basic tapping cycle. S(*********),F(xx.xx),D(xx). Spindle speed, Feed speed, Feed dwell while spindle stops/reverses. It is not for blind hole tapping, just through hole.    Pretty Please???????? I do a lot of drilling/tapping and a canned cycle would be nice.  Thanks Terry
Re: G84 Canned RH Tapping Cycle
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 04:47:15 AM »
I am also getting off list questions about this :) I think it is about time to start getting this working... But for now I could make it a sub that we call in the program...

What do you think Terry?
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Vmax

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 10:23:17 AM »
Brian anything that can be used to define the tapping cycle S,F,D would work. The G84 canned cycle of course would be best, but a Sub will do as long as it allows you to define the cycle. It is not that hard to code it manually, just a pain to do it over and over.( that is what them computers are suppose to be good for right? ::)
Thanks Terry
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 07:19:31 AM »
Here is a program that I think woudl work:

G00 X0 Y0
M98 P1000
G00 X2.0
M98 P1000
M30

O1000
G00 Z.1
M3 S300
G01 Z-.625
M5
G4 P2.0
M4
Z.1
G4 P1.0
G00 Z1.0
M99

www.machsupport.com

Vmax

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:20:15 AM »
That is a start but you need to add in the z feedrate that matches the thread pitch. Ideally you also need to reference the tool number so that the tool height is known. You only have so much overtravel in the tap holder so you have to be close in matching the tap movement verses thread pitch during insert and retract.

You had a very good start with the tapping wizard you started. Did you get it finished?

A complete tapping wizard very similar to the drilling wizards would be a VERY popular wizard.
1  Set the spindle speed ( don't overspeed this input as z can only move so fast, the faster you go the longer it takes to speed up and slow down, I normally tap at 100 rpm, it makes the math easy)
2  set the feed rate of the thread pitch based on spindle speed/ thread pitch
3  set a dwell at the base of the tap insert cycle based on "your" machine's cycle time
4 use all the other functions from the drill wizard. Tap size, depth of tap, tool height, hole location, coolant on /off   etc.

Used in conjunction with the drill wizard it would be great. First run the drill wizard to drill all the holes then change tools and run the tapping wizard to tap all the holes. Piece of Cake..  Thanks Terry     
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 03:33:45 PM »
I think I can get it to work :) I am in hopes that Art may add in the code for the G74 and G84... after that I think we are going to have a nice wizard!

www.machsupport.com

Vmax

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 04:19:39 PM »
If your tapping wizard is as good as your other wizards, you betcha. Anymore, drilling and tapping rate 3 and 4 in the top 5 important things a mill needs to be able to do. (:~)= Terry
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 12:43:47 AM »
Bump!  I'd like to add a servo to my spindle so that I can use it for rigid tapping.  Will I have to write my own macro, or is this done somewhere?

--97T--
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:23:49 AM »
You would have to do your own macro for a rigid tap but floating is working

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 10:39:57 PM »
i'm a noob to the site and Mach3 software.  ???
like Vmax, tapping/drilling would be about 80% of my work with the rest being straight line/surface milling. the thing is i work with various types of materials alum, SS, mild steel, tool steel and various tap size from #10 to 1" both fine and course. i think my nc mill is an original prototype machine because i can't find any help on calculating this.
please let me know if there is a wizard i am overlooking.