Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:26:52 PM

Author Topic: Need help converting a Precision Automotion PA2000 router to Mach 3  (Read 10731 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need help converting a Precision Automotion PA2000 router to Mach 3
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »
As said if upgrading go the servo route, steppers are ok but acceleration is very poor on them, just do a search for corner rounding ;)
Personally if all is needed is a new computer with two ports thats what I would do at least to get it running and get used to it, then you can spend money later to make it better.
Two spindles can not be controlled from Mach by default, you can do various things to make it work though but that is why I say get it working the way it is now and things will be clearer when you see how it works.
Hood

Offline jjac

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 07:56:32 PM »
I built my machine from scratch so redoing the whole thing would be that big of a deal. I am just not wanting to spend that much time on doing it even though the guy is paying me to get it running.
I think I will just try out the new computer to see if it will work. Does anyone have any more information on how to get Mach to run the two spindles? Would it be best to just remove one of them?
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »
You could put in a contactor to switch between the two spindles.  Unless you need both of them though, probably makes more sense to remove one.

Offline Hal

•  60 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
With no coolent the M07, M08, and M09 commands would be open. This could be use to control the second spindle. The spindle direction outputs could be tied to the enable circuts. Could we use the speed signal for both? The M code for the spindle enable would only allow one two run. A type of relay logic to revent both from coming on?

Just remove on until you get running.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »
Mach can only output one set of speed control signals.  The command "S1000" would set the spindle speed and send pulse stream to the VFD interface board accordingly.  If you only want on and off, then I suppose you could set up relays on other outputs and just set one of the VFD's for a set RPM.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 03:27:52 AM »
Best thing is to find out how the VFD is controlled at the moment, mechanical swapover like rrd mentioned may be the way to do it. I would keep it on the machine even if at the moment its not going to be used as Rev4 of Mach is supposed to have support for multiple spindles.
Hood

Offline jjac

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »
We have decided to gut the machine and rewire the whole thing and run just one spindle. Does anyone have any recommendations on a retrofit kit. 

Offline jjac

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 08:53:33 PM »
This is going to be a headache....The steppers on the table are nema 34's with 3/8" shafts. I can't find a 34 kit with 3/8 shafts. These machines were also built with 23's. cncrouterparts has the G50 kit with nema 23's that have 3/8 shafts. The 23's lack about 60oz of torque but the table is geared with belt and pulleys. The problem is that with the g540 it won't control my vfd which requires a digital input to control it. G540 is analog. What can I do now. Can I use a pmdx board to control the vfd and the g540 to run the steppers?
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 10:54:28 PM »
Your existing motors should work fine...as long as they are still operational.  The based on the photo you posted of the motor,  Gecko G201X drives will work.  A power supply in the 36-48V range and a PMDX-126 BOB should finish it off.  To figure your power supply current, add up the current draw on the three motors and take 2/3 of that.  Since the Z is usually smaller than the X and Y, I usually just add the X and Y and go with that.  It's always worked.  If your motors are gear or belt reduced and you need fairly high RPM, you might want to stay on the high side on the voltage range.

Offline jjac

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »
I don't know if they still work, 16-18 years old. I think I should go ahead and replace the now with something more up to date.