Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:08:27 AM

Author Topic: Milling SolidWorks Model  (Read 9539 times)

Milling SolidWorks Model
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »
Hi, i'm trying to learn how to mill simple 3D parts out of wax. I did sample model (knob) in SolodWorks, and i saved it as STL file. Then imported to CamBam to do G code but i dont really know what i am doing.
So maybe some one can help me out by pointing to video or text tutorial? So far I learned how to do 2D cuts with Mach3 now need to figure out how to cut SW models.
Thanks a lot for helping :)

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Milling SolidWorks Model
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:05:21 AM »
I would say the CAMBAM site is the place to start there are videos and tutorials there for all you want to do.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 07:40:03 AM »
alexus,
See the attached on basic steps. You realy need to read the manual since  you must know how to set the job up, what each of the parameters are for and how they will affect the pathing. Just for info CB dosen't compensate for a ball mill radius / curvature
as compared to an end mill, the pathing is limited ( horizontal & vertical ?) as compared to some other programs.

READ THE MANUAL and although similar to 2D there is more to consider and set than 2D.
It is a nice program though.... IMHO,

RICH

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »
thanks a lot for reply! I guess I will read the manual and check CB website... 1 more quick question: how to i save G code in CB for a 3d object? so Mach3 can read it? The *.cb file?

And i guess another question: if CB is not that good for 3d then what would be best 3D cam program to work with SW models? One that is easy to learn. Tnx!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
how to i save G code in CB for a 3d object
You right click in the graphics area, then in the flyout select "Produce gcode" and save it to a place of your choice, then
load / run the file in Mach.

if CB is not that good for 3d

I didn't say that, I only mentioned some limitations, only you can decide, and you need to walk some before you run.

would be best 3D cam program

All depends on how you will do work, how much money you want to spend, if you like the software interface, time you may may
need to learn the software. So there is a lot of "you" in determining selection and what is fine for me you may hate.  ;)

RICH
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 12:41:23 PM »
ok then i will rephrase the question :)
what are the most popular cam software out there with respect of 3d designs? :)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »
ProE, Solid Works, Partmaster, Vectric, Rhino, Dolphin, Meshcam to name a few.

RICH
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »
so i can actually use SW to generate G-Code?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 01:12:24 PM »
Not that familar with SW....but most of those major packages all have add-on CAM packages assoicated with or for them that can use their output files. Some are CAM only, some are CAD/CAM so you'll need to take a look what each offers.
Meshcam for example doesn't have any CAD.

RICH

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »
ok tnx!
I guess i will need to do research :)