Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:06:27 PM

Author Topic: Toolpath display question in Turn  (Read 3052 times)

Toolpath display question in Turn
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:04:55 AM »
Hi all, new user/purchaser...trying to muddle my way forward.  Great program & forum!;D

So far all of my CNC'ing has been in Turn and has been modification/repair work on existing parts with the code being handwritten from CAD drawing coordinates until I get better at the wizards and/or LazyTurn.

I have had to touch off & zero on an external feature of the parts with the x-axis zero point nowhere near the spindle centerline.  The toolpath display screens on most are rather bizarre and I have trouble determining if the path "looks right" before hitting cycle start.  Is there any way to offset the display screen's zero point?
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Toolpath display question in Turn
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 10:08:52 AM »
Toolpaths usually look fine for me in Turn, heres an example of a random one. Can you post a screenshot of what you see and also attach the code.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Wow, that were quick!

It's cold as a well digger's behind here (by my standards anyway) and I'm waiting for the shop to heat up a bit before venturing out there.  I'll post back in bit.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:19:53 AM »
Don't laugh at my primitive coding; it worked and made me a few dollars. ;D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
Looks similar here, what is it meant to look like?
Could you possibly have X and Z mixed up?
Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »
Could you possibly have X and Z mixed up?
I don't think so.  X in the minus direction moves the tool towards spindle centerline, Z minus moves the tool towards the chuck.  That's correct, yes?

I just figured it was because the toolpath screen was referenced to X0 always being spot on spindle centerline.  Siince this part has X0 about 1/2" away from center, it looks funny.  The path was fine and the part was successfully modified.  It's a model helicopter engine cyl. head "button" that needed .048" removed from the 6 deg "squish band" portion and .048" from the flange where the cyl. seats to reduce combustion chamber volume/increase compression ratio.  Just a series of roughing/fine face cuts on an angle followed by a move over then the facing rough/fine cuts on the flange.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »
Ah Ok, its normal to have X0 on centre of the lathe and Z0 on end of stock.
Hood