Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:26:13 AM

Author Topic: Swapping axis'  (Read 4562 times)

Swapping axis'
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:48:04 PM »
I have a project where I need to bore 6" down and dont have enough Z by the time I add workholding, tool length, clearance and a boring head I am out of room. So I am going to use my BP right angle attachment and go in sideways.

Heres my question: Is there a simple way to swap the Z and X axis. I want to do a drill pattern concentric to the bore and it would be nice if I could do everything in one setup.

I figure I could always just copy my parameter file and make swap parameters for x and z, but if there is a in software solution that would be better.

Hood

Re: Swapping axis'
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:39:55 PM »
Fairly new to Gcode but I think G17, G18 and G19 may be what you are looking for, they shift to different planes.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 03:24:48 PM »
I think that is only for circular interpolation.

-Jerry

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 04:25:36 PM »
hI, Jerry

Swap your X & Z Step and Dir Pins around in Config, Ports & Pins, you may need to change your Steps Per in Motor Tuning if the ratios are different in X & Z.

Should do what you want, Just be careful, Dry-run it several times first.

Stay away from your limit switch's no homing.

Hope this helps, Chip
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 04:32:29 PM by afn09556 »
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:44:29 PM »
Currently my plan is to clone the profie file and then swap all parameter between x and z, limits included. This will allow me to home and everything.

Hood

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 06:05:33 PM »
I think that is only for circular interpolation.

-Jerry
Yes sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. Still not sure if I get it correctly but why cant you just write the code to suit your axis? i.e. instead of what would normally be a Z movement for the boring make that the X movement.
 Sorry if I misunderstand again, im a  bit of a thick bas***d ;)
Hood
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 12:14:19 PM »
Did what I said last night and clone the profile and modified the pin setting. I think this is going to work. I was just hoping there was a way to swap all of this in mach and not have to re-do my profile or edit gcode.

Thanks