Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:49:52 PM

Author Topic: Help Set Me Straight ( Limit and Home switches)  (Read 5053 times)

Help Set Me Straight ( Limit and Home switches)
« on: February 01, 2006, 05:23:08 PM »
I finally got around to mounting my limit/home switches,here's what I did. I used SPST momentary push button normally on type two conductor switches. I connected them to a cnc4pc breakout board as directed by schematic. Using solid wire to connect them together and shielded wire to connect to breakout terminals via a RCA type plug between board and switch. As for settings I used  X++ port 1, pin 10, X-- port 1 pin 11.  For  X Home port 1, pin 11.  For Y++ port 1 pin 12, for Y-- port 1, pin 13, and for Y Home port 1, pin 13. Axis X, Y Homes are shared. I then unchecked the boxes to set them on active high. Now how do I set the soft limits? Is one set to zero and the other set at the length of travel, such as -0 as soft minimum and +12.00 as soft maximum? Can someone with a working machine look over my scenario and recommend the proper changes or tell me what I am doing wrong!. I get the Y axis to work, but the X axis will not, and if I touch the wire that connects the Y switches it triggers the limit on. Also what is a good setting for debounce, whatever that is? Man, I hope someone can help. I'm buggin' on this. ??? ???
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 06:34:50 PM by ynneb »
Re: Help Set Me Straight ( Limit and Home switches)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 07:28:19 PM »
Hello!
You are going to have to check that you have the machine set to HOME NEG. Also what happens if you press the X axis limit switch? It should show both the X home and X - limit switch actice on the Diagnostics page. If that is all okay we start to dig :)

Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 04:13:14 PM »
I will check those things and report back the results. Thanks Brian.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 04:21:53 PM »
OK checked those things, and yes, if I press the button, in my case the Y axis, they both light up. Home is set to NEG. What should debounce be set at. And what the heck is DEBOUNCE anyway. Looked up in Wiki and I don't understand the definition. Please explain in plain English??
Hello!
You are going to have to check that you have the machine set to HOME NEG. Also what happens if you press the X axis limit switch? It should show both the X home and X - limit switch actice on the Diagnostics page. If that is all okay we start to dig :)

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 05:13:28 AM »
basically you are telling the computer to ignore any input that is on for less time than the debounce. So if you have an input that is on for 100 and have the debounce set to 200 I will never read the input! You can crank it up to 2000 no problem! That is only like 4 Milli sec.... You will never even know it :) So as you can see it is to filter out noise that could be coming in to the input....

How is that?

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 09:45:07 AM »
Yes that clears it up for me. I presently have it set to 900 in both field boxes. I think I'll upscale the number to 2000 so as to have no more dealing with that! Now back to my switch problems. The X axis is still not responding, so I think I'll rewire and see if thats the problem. But until then do you have any input on the subject, Brian. And thanks for the help so far. I'm in good hand I think, yes?
basically you are telling the computer to ignore any input that is on for less time than the debounce. So if you have an input that is on for 100 and have the debounce set to 200 I will never read the input! You can crank it up to 2000 no problem! That is only like 4 Milli sec.... You will never even know it :) So as you can see it is to filter out noise that could be coming in to the input....

How is that?
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 07:07:14 AM »
Double check the with the LED's on the Diagnostics page to see if Mach 3 is getting the input. Once you have the led so it will light on the screen when you press the home switch you should be good to go.

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 12:56:05 PM »
Well I found part of my issue, and that's because I've gotten a case of dyslexia. I wired them into the wrong terminal spaces and then set the pinouts in reverse order. Now I think I may rewire them with a shielded wire just to be safe. I've got a couple of days off from work so I'll be attending to that soon. I'll let you know the results of my efforts. Thank you much, Brian.