Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:09:03 AM

Author Topic: changing dro while running  (Read 5166 times)

changing dro while running
« on: December 24, 2011, 04:06:09 AM »
Studying the details under the geheral heading Jogging in the manual. Section 6.2.4.1

reference is made to changing the feedrate in predetermined steps by clicking on the arrows
below the "jog cycle"

can this be done in the middle of running a cycle and will it progressively increase ( or decrease)
the speed for each "click"?

If this is so for this dro-- then does the same apply for all the other dro's as well

thanks in advance

fred

think of the trees-- use both sides of the computer paper

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: changing dro while running
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:23:51 AM »
If you are meaning the Feed Rate Override (FRO) then yes you  increase or decrease whilst machining.

What DROs are you meaning specifically, some things can be done whilst code is running some things are blocked for good reason.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 08:44:03 AM »

Thanks for the answer Hood--

(If you are meaning the Feed Rate Override (FRO) then yes you  increase or decrease whilst machining.)

It is mach3 turn and i am referring to the dro on the more or less in the middle of the screen which has

JOG CYCLE
 <....>
************************************XX  ( this DRO Here)

there is another DRO to the right which says

Feed mms/min

<    100 >

Is this maybe the one called feed rate override?

What DROs are you meaning specifically, some things can be done whilst code is running some things are blocked for good reason.
Hood
[/quote]

(Just back from Christmas holidays- temperature at coast in South Africa-
40 degrees C in the day and slightly overcast ( Northern hemisphere- just eat your hearts out))
think of the trees-- use both sides of the computer paper

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »
Ah Ok Turn screen, well I do not like that screen and dont use it on my lathe,  so sorry will have to let someone that does use it reply regards the DROs.
Maybe Rich will stick his head in as I think he uses it.
Regards the 40 Deg C, that it approx 20  deg too hot for me so you are welcome to it  ;D

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 06:02:21 AM »
You can't change the jog speed on the fly, yes you can click the +- to set a new % while the jog key is active but the change in %
won't happen until let off the jog key and press it again.

RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
Rich what about the screenset, it would seem the buttons in the pic below would be for increasing/decreasing  FRO but they dont seem to work. You should be able to use the FRO whilst maching so I am presuming these buttons either dont work in the standard screen or they are not what they look like.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 06:36:06 AM »
I have just looked at the OEMs for them and they do seem to be for increasing/decreasing FRO but when I tried that screenset on my lathe the last day they didnt seem to have any effect, do they work for you? The way I tested was run some code and try increasing or decreasing and no affect was seen. I then used my FRO pot on the panel and I could see a noticeable difference in Feedrate.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 07:01:28 AM »
Dosen't work here for the standard screen. Quick test here using the MDI ..... G01 Z-2 F.5 and tried increasing using the buttons but no go while the axis is in motion. That is different than using the mill screen for the lathe which will allow you to overide the feedrate.
May be able to change the screen though. Not sure if there would be problems if one did that .

RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 07:10:54 AM »
My first  screen for my lathe was basically my mill screen adapted by removing the Y axis DROs etc and rearranging things about to suit the lathe more. The FRO buttons worked fine with it. You could actually use a standard mill screen for the lathe, just need to change the file extension from.set to .lset, so if you copied the  1024.set to desktop, renamed to 1024.lset and replaced in the Mach 3 folder it would work fine for a lathe, would over ride the standard lathe screenset so probably best to change its name as well as the extension. It would look a bit odd for a lathe but it would allow you to use buttons such as FRO. Of course if you like the standard lathe screen then changing the oems in it to the same as mills FRO up/Down (108, 109) would also work, not sure why the lathe screen oems dont work but as I dont use it I have never really bothered.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 07:38:26 AM »
not sure why the lathe screen oems dont work
What got my attention on this was the fact that I can't remember ever having to change the feedrate on the fly on the lathe.
Most of the lathe programs are of short duration here and the feedrate set in the program is ok for what will be done.

I am only guessing, but it may be tied to threading.

BTW, belt driven manual spindle here so rather limited,
RICH