Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:20:50 AM

Author Topic: Machine jumps when in program and looking at last wizard  (Read 16679 times)

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
Re: Machine jumps when in program and looking at last wizard
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 10:49:37 PM »
So if you are running a machine with a wizard and you are not sure about the parameters that you have set like the step down etc, you MUST not go and look, which buy the way would be a natural thing for any operator to do, but you can look at your offset screen, Diagnostics etc. I was only asking if somebody could try it because I am using Vital DSPMC and have had quite a few weird things happen, I have an MPG that has a mind of it's own but works fine when just through Mach.
Ray.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
Ray,
The "natural thing" to do
BEFORE
running any program is to review the gcode, dry run it, or simulate it with no movement via Mach or another program . You wouldn't change your tire on the car and then decide to check if the bolts are tight when your on the freeway!
Do as you wish, often my advice to folks is "not to play with your mouse" and i really mean the mouse when running Mach, let alone interupting
a running program. Do you understand what we are saying?

RICH

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
Rich, I don't want to keep slogging on with this and I do appreciate all the work you guys put into this, but you must understand one thing, I have made my living for the past 35years plus servicing and rebuilding CNC machines so I a few things have rubbed off on me..Example: One of my good customers who machines parts for the Mars lunar rover using Ultra sonic 5 axis machining centers asked me if I would look into putting together a small mill for his tool room, and asked me about mach3.
After going through the motions, I told him Mach3 is a great software but there are a few weird things going on like if you set the parameters in the wizard and run it, for christ sake don't go back into the wizard to check those parameters because the machine will do a hop skip and jump, he looked at me as if I was from Mars..

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 06:07:57 PM »
If you told him a Ford Focus was just as good as a Ferarri, would he look at you funny then. 'Cause it's pretty much the same thing.

I think someone already mentioned that a $10,000 or $20,000 control can't really be compared to mach3, at $159. Even though Mach3 might be able to do 95% of what the more expensive control can do. The difference is that Mach3 is entirely dependent on software, where the expensive ones use expensive hardware to keep everything running smoothly, regardless of what the operator does.

And I mentioned before, when you load a wizard, you are in effect closing Mach3. Everything you see on the screen is discarded, and a new screen (with different controls) is loaded. With some wizards this can take Mach3 several seconds to do, and it just can't keep running smoothly when asked to do another task.

I think the reason that noone is trying it for you, is we know that it will cause problems. We don't need to try it.
Honestly, for the 7 or 8 years I've been reading the Mach3 forums, you're the first person I've heard of who's wanted to open a wizard while the machine is running. You might want to consider removing the wixards, then your operators can't open them. But you'll need to use a CAM program to create your code.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »
Rich, I don't want to keep slogging on with this and I do appreciate all the work you guys put into this, but you must understand one thing, I have made my living for the past 35years plus servicing and rebuilding CNC machines so I a few things have rubbed off on me..Example: One of my good customers who machines parts for the Mars lunar rover using Ultra sonic 5 axis machining centers asked me if I would look into putting together a small mill for his tool room, and asked me about mach3.
After going through the motions, I told him Mach3 is a great software but there are a few weird things going on like if you set the parameters in the wizard and run it, for christ sake don't go back into the wizard to check those parameters because the machine will do a hop skip and jump, he looked at me as if I was from Mars..

I guess I'm also missing something here as I don't understand something. If you've been doing these services for so long, and you have the type of customers that are doing amazing work such as Mars lunar rover parts, why are you even bothering with $159 software? Shouldn't this be way beneath folks like yourselves?

In other words, if I'm a professional musician, do you think I'm going to buy a $99 dollar Squier strat guitar at a music store, and then get annoyed because it won't stay in tune for very long?

Again, I have to be missing something here.  ???
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »
I have made my living for the past 35years plus servicing and rebuilding CNC machines

Your expertise is far beyond mine my friend and surely your good at what you do.........but........
you know nothing about Mach Software and need to evaluate it properly. Feel free to post a complete comparison
in terms of functionality to cost along with pro's and con's as compared to all the controllers out there.
I for one would surely be interested.

Happy Holidays,
RICH

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 10:44:59 PM »
Guys, get off my case here. I was asked to evaluate Mach3 and yes I don't know anything about Mach3 or bloody computers for that matter. I was told it's a great software and it's used in the industry. I put it on one of my machines and thought it was great, but the first problem was when you press feed hold it took it's sweet time to stop, well that was a major hazard, I convinced rufi from Vital systems to change the decel time from 750ms to 100ms and now it stops on a dime. You keep beating on me and all I was asking was is this the norm or is there a problem between Mach and Vital motion. I don't have a problem with this on my machine as long as I am the only one running it.
Ray
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 07:13:10 AM »
Mach3 takes liberties with the Windows OS. Microsoft designed Windows to be an absolute control freak and it will not release that control unless you massage it in just the right way. As mentioned before, much more expensive controllers use independent hardware to achieve smooth motion and a feature rich environment in Windows. Mach3 is all software, baby! No expensive hardware at all. To be honest, as far as I know Mach3 is the ONLY exclusively software based motion controller operating on the Windows platform. Making it work at all was in itself a great feat.

If you told him a Ford Focus was just as good as a Ferarri, would he look at you funny then. 'Cause it's pretty much the same thing.

Actually, I see it more like a Ford Mustang vs an F1, but with the Mustang, at a fraction of the price, they also throw in a complete workshop to tune it up as you see fit. However, you still need to know or learn how to use the tools to tweak and tune the performance and make new parts to produce a car that is truly drool worthy. In Mach3, the same is true - you get a decent base model and if you're willing to learn (or pay someone) you can have one slick machine. That being said, don't expect it to outperform the F1 on the track, but you can still get way more functionality and enjoyment out of the Mustang.

Feedhold function in Mach3 stops at the next convenient and safe spot to guarantee that you can resume without problems/lost steps/sync issues. Perhaps it could be better with the developers spending more time on it, but I guess it is what it is. Likely this was the easiest way to make it work within Windows.

I don't think people were trying to beat on you, but instead trying to impress on you that Mach3 was designed for the hobbyist - it just so happens that it's good enough to be used in production roles like in my shop - and I wouldn't change to a commercial controller at this point. With Mach3, where there's a will there's a way. With commercial controllers you are locked into the functionality that the developers decided you need. To each his own.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions about the limitations and any quirks you find - many people have had quirks that are not normal and can be fixed, but if the experts here are telling you it's normal, please resist the urge to compare Mach3 to a commercial controller, as Mach was not designed to be a commercial controller replacement.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 07:16:26 AM »
I couldn't have even come closer to saying it any better myself. Nicely done Sargon  :)

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »
Well said Sargon and the sky is the limit with this control , not like Fanuc that costs an arm and a leg to change the ladder.  Now All I need to do is to delete the button that says "last Wizard" and everybody will be happy, why have last wizard anyway? Try to think that somebody else is running the machine and not you, and what would they do....
Without the last wizard button the operator would not want to go into the wizard screen while the machine was running because he would not want to create a wizard while running a wizard right, but might want to to look at the last wizard because he knows that's the one he is using, and why not look at the parameters he had set for that wizard, just like looking at your tool length offset or work offset while that tool is being run. Sorry if I keep going on but if there is a button to push, it will be pushed.
Ray.