Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:44:54 AM

Author Topic: Machine jumps when in program and looking at last wizard  (Read 16678 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Machine jumps when in program and looking at last wizard
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »
Mach3 at $159.00 is the deal of the century for hobbiest and simple comercial ventures as long as you understand the limitations.

IF I were to start a new comercial venture that required CNC machines it would be with a Comercial CNC machine using a known  CNC controller such as Fanuc,Haas,Mazak,etc,etc. That way you have a Machine designed for such work. The machines HAVE to work up to 24/7 and be stone dependable and repeatable.

NOW that said if I had to, "Very Low Budget" I would use mach3 BUT I also would have to understand the quirks that come along with it. Some type simple CNC would never have much of a problem and MACH3 would work very well.

Other type of CNC you would suffer greatly in Time and aggravation.

MACH4 and building your on GUI ?? NOT EVEN AN OPTION. IF the controller is not ready OUT OF THE BOX what good is it to an OWNER / machinist. The idea is to MAKE PARTS not spend all your time working on the machine that makes parts.

Just my mileage, your milage may vary do to local conditions, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:55:06 AM by BR549 »

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 12:27:28 PM »
I know what you are saying, so if you are a hobbyist does that mean you must not look at your last wizard screen when the machine is running because the axis will jump and brake the cutter.
I have an old milltronics with a 386dx and it doesn't do weird stuff like that. Could it be my vital systems motion board, i'm not too happy with that, had the time for the feed hold acc/dec changed in his software to 100ms was 850ms and when you were feeding at 40inch/min and hit the feed hold it continued on for about 3/4" before stopping, now that was dangerous.
Most industrial accidents are caused be stupidity and not the machine doing weird stuff, I have investigated many accidents and some fatal.
Ray.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »
YEs you are correct you MUST NOT reopen the wizard while Mach3 is cutting.

DID your old miltronics even have Wizards???

Also when you are running outside controller cards such as SS or the DSMP you are depending on the PROGRAMMER that wrote the interface(plugin) that allows Mach3 to talk to teh outside controller. Who knows HOW the programmer did the important functions such as feedhold or such. That puts it in the responcibility of the programmer that writes the interface NOT mach3.

EVEN changing screens can be risky even thought I do do it at times. Depends on what screen you're changing to.

Feedhold is NOT like other commerial controllers as well . You press the button then WAIT for mach3 to come to a safe halt and that could be many seconds depending on the Gcode and the look ahead buffer settings. It has to find a safe point in the buffer to stop at so it can retain the positional values.

IF you press STOP while Mach is moving you have lost postional reference and will need to refhome or reset the part origin.

To add these functions could vary a great deal on outside controllers running with MAch3. It all depends on the interface and the controller's capabilty.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:47:34 PM by BR549 »

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »
It's a pity my Milltronics is so old and I don't want to learn but it would blow most controllers away, Hurco is is the same. Milltronics is conversational and G code, it has graphics, you can can draw a circle then draw a line in close proximity to the tangent point and it will snap it on to the circle and then you can that on the fly and just keep going.
For $2000. they upgrade the control, just don't know which way I should go, Have nice Fagor 8035, Fanuc 0 controls sitting here on the floor, or Mach3, EMC2....My feed hold works great now, they make is slow down because of the steppers I guess, I'm on servos and pulse coders and can stop on a dime. Yes the stop function shouldn't even be next to the feed hold, should be removed and should reset like any other machine.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 05:58:48 AM »
Mach3 at $159.00 is the deal of the century for hobbiest and simple comercial ventures as long as you understand the limitations.

Agreed!

MACH4 and building your on GUI ?? NOT EVEN AN OPTION. IF the controller is not ready OUT OF THE BOX what good is it to an OWNER / machinist. The idea is to MAKE PARTS not spend all your time working on the machine that makes parts.

Just presenting an option - not for the faint of heart for sure. I thought he had mentioned paying someone to make changes, but now I can't find the reference - must of been confusing 2 different posts - it's really early after all!

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 12:13:53 AM »
So can somebody try a small wizard pocket cycle and just click to the last wizard while running and see if it jumps, I want to know if its my motion board,
ray.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 04:47:55 AM »
Ray,

The problem with that is simply that all computers are not equal (not even close), so even if it happens to run perfectly for someone else, does not mean it will work for you.

That is one of the drawbacks in this case.
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 05:23:55 PM »
Tell me this post is not dead...
Ray.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 05:52:58 PM »
Ray,
Not yet...........
I am just thinking that folks are not going to waste their time giving you information on what not to do and then you desire to debate it.
Simply put, when your running a program you should not be playing around.        Period.          Mach shares with Windows and you
don't want to create a a problem.

It is highly suggested that you test out  Mach to any extent you desire.
As you have stated....
For $2000. they upgrade the control, just don't know which way I should go, Have nice Fagor 8035, Fanuc 0 controls sitting here
on the floor, or Mach3, EMC2

If Mach's functionality is not to your liking then by all means consider using another controlling program as the choice can only be yours.

RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 07:03:05 PM »
YEP Pretty much dead, (;-) TP