Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 06:13:12 AM

Author Topic: Machine jumps when in program and looking at last wizard  (Read 16753 times)

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
Machine jumps when in program and looking at last wizard
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
I'm still testing and when I'm running the wizards in program run screen and then I would like to check the parameters that I set in that wizard, I go to the last wizard and machine machine jumps about 1/4" in rapid and snapped my 1/2" end mill. I don't have a problem with that if that's the way it is( don't go into the wizard screen when running) but I am trying to evaluate the system to put it out in the real world. I tried many wizards including the standard ones included with Mach3 and they did the same.
So far I  am very impressed.
Ray.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Machine jumps when in program and looking at last wizard
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »
Don't change any screens while the machine is moving, and especially don't load a wizard. When you load a Wizard, you effectively unload Mach3 and replace it with the wizard.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »
I understand that now but when this goes out in the real world with 15 guys using it it not going to be very safe.
You said don't look at any screens when the machine moving?  I can look at many different screen when running the program and that should be normal.
When I was running the wizard program it would be normal to go back into that wizard to double check the parameters that you have just set like, did I set the step down to .1"
I have made my living servicing CNC machine for the past 35years, if they can push the wrong button they will. PC controllers mach3 are new to me, and I know they are inexpensive but they have to safe.
There has been a lot of great help on this site and a lot of guys do it for free just for the love of it. I think it's a great system and have several customers in the aerospace industry interested and have asked me to put it through its paces.
As I said if there is a button to press it will be pressed. If a wizard is running maybe the wizard screen should be blocked from opening, I would be willing to pay for that.
Ray.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
You can create a custom screen with only the controls you need on it. Sounds like the only way to get close to the safety you're looking for. Due to the way Mach3 works, entirely in software, it's very sensitive to external influences. With most other controllers, the motion is handled by external hardware, so anything you do on the PC doesn't affect the motion. Using an external motion controller with Mach3 might be better, but I still don't think you can open a wizard while the machine is running.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »
I use an external motion controller DSPMC, had my share of problems with that, maybe that causes the machine to jump..
You understand where i am coming from, it would be normal to check your settings while running like you would check your offset screen.
Ray.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »

Mach3 is NOT like a commercial controller such as Fanuc or Haas or Mazak or Semens.

It has many limitations (many safety related) if comparing it to the commercial controllers.  IF you are trying to replicate the Commercial world of controllers then  MACH3@ $159.00  is NOT where you need to be.

Just a thought(;-) TP
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 04:57:13 PM by BR549 »

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
I think your wrong, i think there is a place for it. I not comparing it to the others, just a few common sense issues, we can all rapid the tool in tool into the table if we want to.
Ray.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »
OH i have been wrong before but not this time(;-) Mach3 is a great low cost controller and servers the hobby and small job shop that is limited in functions and equipment. But you will find in time that it does have limitations in many ways compared to the big boys.

Been there done that one as well, (;-) TP

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 12:05:55 AM »
So do you think that Camsoft is worth $5,000?
Ray.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 06:07:05 AM »
Mach4 will help this issue when it comes out. I'm not sure if Mach3 is capable of disabling this, not that I'm aware of at lease. If the problem hasn't been addressed in Mach4 you will have the option of creating your own application for the user interface, or paying someone to program it for you - based on information that Brian has leaked to us in the yahoo forum.

Come on Mach4!

Hopefully it will be as beautiful as it sounds, and any limitations that exist in the stock user interface will be able to be addressed with custom frontend software. For now, BR549 is absolutely correct in that there are some limitations/caveats that the user MUST be aware of to operate the machine safely and without error. The way I see it, $159 is not enough for what you get! As a business user I would pay considerably more, but that would make it more difficult for the hobbyist to get into the CNC world - and AFAIK that is what Mach3 was originally intended for.