Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:18:49 AM

Author Topic: Black Friday in my CNC world  (Read 7551 times)

Black Friday in my CNC world
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:47:40 AM »
  I've been running an online mold making service for a couple of years using an older Microproto/Taig CNC machine with thier DOS based program.
Business has been good but I needed more speed.  So I sent my steppers and control box back to Microproto for upgrade to DSLS with Mach3.
Things have been downhill since getting them back a few weeks ago. Company provides XML specifically for the machine and everything is set accordingly.
Computer is clean install of Windows XP Home (DELL 4700 - P4 3.00GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - nVidia GeForce).
From the moment of opening the program I receive various error messages. First one is "External Estop Requested" which leads to
a long error message about "Your Reset command is failing due to an external influence...etc.". If I get through that and start the toolpath
I usually get a Limit Stop message and everything is over at that point. Things go round and round from there. I have, on occasion, gotten
through a complete run but it is rare. Sometimes the machine will stop right at the beginning and other times half way through.
   I have optimized the computer, reinstalled the OS, searched through the posts and tried different things w/o any luck. The company
hasn't had any ideas that have worked. I know MACH3 is a good program that many people use w/o any problems. Could it be the encoders or
something electronic rather than the program? or is it some setting? The Taig is a very basic machine w/o a lot of things to go wrong
   I am unable to take any new orders for fear of not being able to fufill them.
   Being a novice at the inner workings of the CNC world, I am at a loss at this point.
   Sorry for the long post but I am getting discouraged and would appreciate any ideas.
TIA
Jim Barbieri   

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Black Friday in my CNC world
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:01:35 AM »
Its sounding like a noise issue, to test the theory try setting the Debounce Interval (on General Confic page) to 2000 and see if its better. If it is then you can try lowering the value to see how low you can get it before the problems arise again.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »
Thanks...
That was one of the tips that I tried. Unfortunately it did not work.
I am going to try another computer. It is unlikely that will cure it but it was suggested.
Any other ideas?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »
Can you attach your latest xml please.
Do you have limit switches?
Can you possibly take a few pics of the electronics etc.

Dells can be problematic but usually it is with poor pulse output rather than E-Stop issues.
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »
Keep your chin up Jim - this little problem of yours will be resolved.

As Hood said, some more information on the electronics and wiring would be good.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:25:45 PM »
Jim, where are you based. Maybe someone could pop in and give your machine a look over.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 02:37:40 PM »
Another attempt to attach the files.
Hopefully this will work.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:48:09 PM by Jim1245 »
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 02:39:15 PM »
LOL, a little bit far to just pop over...Try raising the debounce to 5000, if this works look for sources of electrical noise.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:42:40 PM by angel tech »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »
You will need to rename the xml and files as the forum only accepts a file name once and someone muist already have posted files with that name.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »
After you guys raised the electrical noise issue, I started to think about it.
I have been using a lamp/magnifier right next to the machine/control box for years because of
my less than perfect vision w/o any problems.
I just removed it and...no error messages. I ran three short tool paths w/o any issues.
I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH. This has been going on for weeks. I did have some success but
now that I think about it, the lamp must have been OFF.

One other quick question - when I exit the program and start back up I have lost my 0,0,0 position
and have to reset it. Any ideas?