Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:45:39 AM

Author Topic: Power cut caused mach3 problems  (Read 6522 times)

Power cut caused mach3 problems
« on: November 24, 2011, 06:54:31 AM »
Hi,

Had a Power cut while Mach 3 was open and the PC switched off suddenly. When started back up the home and fixture position was different. Also the X axis has switched, i.e. when jogging X go's in the opposite direction now. Also I have a 'Normal Condition' LED flashing on the Home Page ( when clicked it says 'Axis are not re-fed to normal position').

Any help or suggestions of how I get back to normality greatly appreciated. I am a newbee and only in my first few days of Mach 3.

James

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Power cut caused mach3 problems
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:07:52 AM »
Swap the Dir of the axis either on Ports and Pins Motor Ouputs page by changing the active state of the Dir pin or you can go to Config menu then Homng and limits and change the reversed to the opposite of what it is.
Abnormal condition is nothing to worry about, its just saying you have not homed the machine, so just press RefAll and it will stop.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
Thanks Hood. Tried it both ways and they both changed the direction fine. I now have the Home position set back to the cross hairs on the 'Table view'. All back up and running, thanks!  James
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »
there are backups of the xml file,  you can try going to operator and restore a backup from a few starts ago.

Ohhh and a UPS is a good thing.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »
DHL are rubbish, and PARCEL FORCE ;)
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 05:04:10 PM »
Hi,

Had a Power cut while Mach 3 was open and the PC switched off suddenly. When started back up the home and fixture position was different. Also the X axis has switched, i.e. when jogging X go's in the opposite direction now. Also I have a 'Normal Condition' LED flashing on the Home Page ( when clicked it says 'Axis are not re-fed to normal position').

I had exactly the same problem after a power cut, only mine was the Y axis. A few days previously I had changed the Dir Active  setting to reverse the Y axis but it had reverted to the original setting after the power cut. Seems like it didn't load the most recent .xml file? Why should this happen? Any other explanation?

Thanks
Richard

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »
Had you kept Mach running from the time you changed the Dir active setting to the time there was a power cut?
Hood
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 03:38:40 AM »
Had you kept Mach running from the time you changed the Dir active setting to the time there was a power cut?
Hood

That's posible... can't actually remember. Is the xml file only updated when Mach is closed? If so, I'd say that was a weakness- much better if it updated whenever a config dialogue window is closed.
cheers
Richard

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 05:05:33 AM »
That is correct.
Weakness? maybe but its just the way things are done at the moment. I use the Industry Controls version of Mach on one of my mills. When wanting to change any config settings you have to first choose to enable it from the Config menu then you can gain access to normal config settings. Once you have done what you want then you have to save and close the config options  before you can do anything. This is the way it has to be to save config without shutting down Mach and  is likely the way it will be handled in Mach4 as well.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »
That is correct.
Weakness? maybe but its just the way things are done at the moment. I use the Industry Controls version of Mach on one of my mills. When wanting to change any config settings you have to first choose to enable it from the Config menu then you can gain access to normal config settings. Once you have done what you want then you have to save and close the config options  before you can do anything. This is the way it has to be to save config without shutting down Mach and  is likely the way it will be handled in Mach4 as well.
Hood

That sounds good, thanks for the help.
I changed the dir setting and restarted mach, all works fine. However I took a look at my settings and it seems to me they are a bit of a mess. This is what I found:

Motor Home/Soft Limits:
             Reversed     Home Neg

x             tick             cross
y             cross           tick
z              tick            cross

Motor Outputs
            Dir Low Active
x              cross
y              tick (after recent change)
z             cross

It looks to me like some of those settings cancel each other out (if that makes sense) but I can't figure out which. At the moment, Z increases as the head rises, X increases as table moves to left and Y increases as the table moves out away from the column. The orientation of the work matches that shown in Draftsight and Sheetcam, but I can't help thinking there's something wrong somewhere. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Richard