Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:50:08 PM

Author Topic: Can't clear emergency condition  (Read 5196 times)

Can't clear emergency condition
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:26:17 PM »
Hi

I have a Smoothstepper with C32BOB.

I did get it all working a year back on the bench but since then have been distracted by other projects. I have now built it all into a nice cabinet and wired up for installation into the machine.

Unfortunately the PC had to be replaced in the intervening time and as a result, I lost the working XML and settings.

On the new PC, I have downloaded and installed mach, the current Smoothstepper driver and plugin and the latest C32 R4 XML, I have re created the input and output port settings in Mach from the scrrenshots in the documentation I did last year. Both PCs run 64bit windows 7.

The PC starts mach up nicely, offers a choice of profiles, offers a choice of interfaces so I take the C32 XML option and the Smoothstepper interface, the 3 working happily lights come up on the smoothstepper, so far so good.

Mach 3 comes up with a re-configuration e-stop, which I clear. It then comes up with an external e-stop which I clear, it then shows an emergency which I clear, this basically goes on forever. It seems to take a couple of seconds to realise that it has a problem after clearing then it goes right back to an emergency.

I have disconnected everything but the smoothstepper and the power for the C32 to simplify the setup, this didnt seem to change the behaviour of the setup.

Have tried setting E stop to active low but no joy so set it back to normal.

Does this sound familiar to anybody. Probably a really simple error, I just cant see it.

Any help / thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Can't clear emergency condition
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »
Do you have limits enabled? If so they could be the issue if you have the active state wrong.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »
Hi Hood

Just checked, No limits are set, auto zero is set on all axes.

Any other thoughts ?

Thanks

Paul

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »
attach your xml and I will have a look.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »
Here it is, I hope

Thanks for looking

Paul

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 03:38:47 AM »
So just to clarify you do have limit swotches on the machine but when you look on diagnostics there are no LEDs for them?
Also do you have an E-Stop switch? If yes is it a Normally Closed switch and connected to pin 10?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:23:10 AM »
Hi Hood

Yes, I do have limit switches on the machine. They are not actually connected up yet.

To exclude any external wiring faults as far as possible, I have disconnected all inputs and outputs apart from the E stop button.

The e stop is on port 1 pin 10 and is normally closed.

I can get comms with the smoothstepper going just fine but as soon as I put power on the C32, the emergency light comes on in Mach. If I monitor the LEDs then nothing is lighting up except the Emergency LED.

I have now even tried turning all inputs and outputs off in Mach ports and pins to see whether that makes a difference, it doesnt.

Baffled

Paul

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:34:51 AM »
Strange that its fine unless you power the OB, try changing the active state of the e-stop and see what happens.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 02:07:37 PM »
Hi Hood

I've now disconnected absolutely everything but the gnd and 5 V, as soon as the power is applied, the board sets emergency and wont clear.

I've logged a call with CNC4PC, I'm starting to wonder if I've damaged something.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
Seems strange its fine until you power the bob as I would expect an E-Stop without the BOB powered as its looking for a normally closed signal and I would imagine without the BOB being powered the SS would see it open.
Hood