Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:51:20 PM

Author Topic: Modbus spindle control questions...  (Read 15682 times)

Re: Modbus spindle control questions...
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 08:44:36 AM »
We actually did have it on port 0 before he got it redone with the new brains.  I have not desires to run a smoothstepper or anything else on this machine other than what is already here as it works great now. The only additions will be a fourth axis as well as other inputs and outputs for a future power drawbar etc...   It is still working great and my settings I have tweaked a bit. It now reverses super fast and I am optimistic my spindle will be able to tap even better than it did before.  I am very pleased...  Now I just gotta finish that power drawbar I was working on. Damn computers, takes me away from what I really want to do...haha peace

Pete

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »
I moved it over to port 0 on my side and it worked fie and is safer like mentioned.  Since it's really not used from the port or modbus other than looking at logic calls in the brain it doesn't matter other than it may conflict down the road later and cause issues.  Port Zero will not cause any issues later so it's safer.

Richard
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 10:54:01 AM »
Okay, I will try that, hate to mess with a good thing tho... wish me luck!! peace

Pete

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 03:17:40 AM »
Hey Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd try my luck anyway. I have set up a Schneider Altivar12 (ATV12) VFD over serial modbus. All the on/off and direction and speed control works fine from Mach. However, I have a very erratic system crash...getting Artcode 9991. I have read a lot and this is anything from a divide by zero error (quoted by Art) to anyone knows what else. This erratic crash only happens when I have the spindle switched on with a speed. If I leave it on with zero speed set it will run indefinitely and Mach is stable. Once I have sent the speed to the VFD, it's only a matter of time before a crash.
Everything does work though, so all my inputs and outputs are correct and the brain is correct. Are there any macropumps which I should have ammended to avoid a clash with the brain on Mach cycles?

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »
Dont know what could be the problem but if you attach your Brain maybe I will see something.
Hood
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 04:54:35 PM »
Hey Hood,

Thanks for the reply. I've actually figured it out. The 9991 error was coming up because I was flooding the Modbus input register.
I hadnt put the pullup resistor between the Tx and Rx lines on the Modbus connection so the line couldnt pull low at the end of a data packet transmit. This caused the registers to overflow. The Modbus CRC was then also not able to work.
All sorted now so I hope this may solve other peoples issues too.

Thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 02:37:16 AM »
Good to hear its sorted and thanks for posting the resolution as it will likely help others :)
Hood