Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:07:04 AM

Author Topic: no jog  (Read 7163 times)

no jog
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:10:45 AM »
got the software loaded and all the pinouts set like geckodrive wants them. i can get my computer to turn on the G540 but all i get it holding torque but no jog the jog button is on but neither the flyout or the keyboard do anything. i loaded the software on another computer and could get the jog to work on screen but the parralel port seems to be dead because it doesn't do anything. can low memory cause this? the computer i am using only has 384mb of ram (i'm waiting on some 512mb sticks) was hoping to move around the gantry a little but not yet  :(

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: no jog
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 03:41:40 AM »
Have you tried running "DriverTest.exe" (found in the Mach folder) ??

If this doesn't run then the drivers are not loaded and this could be a memory problem as you suspect.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
thanks tweakie i will try that.

if the drivers are not right would that make the screen not work also? i can push the buttons but the axis's all stay at zero.

thanks,
Justin
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:02:17 PM »
ran the driver test and comes up says computer is under mach control sits there for a bit doing nothing and says "mach1 test complete" thats it.

i knew i shouldn't have tryed to messing with building a machine i'm ready to take a hammer to this whole thing >:( >:( >:(
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
ok, got the driver test to work shows excellent here is what i did.

uninstalled mach
reinstalled
restarted the computer
ran driver test
opened mach everything worked, jog worked (on screen anyway)
went in and set the pinout and enabled all the motors (motor "A" was all i had to enable)
went back to try things out and back to what i had before, the computer will turn on the motors and thats it now jog doesn't work again the numbers aren't 0 but they are stuck where they were when i went and did the pinouts.

just don't understand why when i set the pinouts it disables jog somehow.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »
Can you attach your xml and I will see if your config looks ok.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:55:58 AM »
thanks hood,

hopefully this is what you need.

Justin
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »
i'm starting to think and i should find out this evening that the parralel port in the computer i was planning to use is only partially working. i go into the diagnostics part of mach and all the inputs are green but none of the outputs are green. i know the cable is good i checked it with a volt meter and it showed continuity from pins 1-1 2-2 3-3....so on and so forth through all pins. have a buddy with several computers he is gonna bring some by to try this evening

Justin

Offline Lou

•  23 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 03:28:56 AM »
Hello My name is Lou and I am located in Melbourne Australia.
I have just taken up the hobby of CNC, I have purchased on EBay a wigt cnc 6040 router (Chinese Machine) and I'm running XPwindows to drive my software Mach3
So far so good!! I have installed the software and purchased the licence and configured the software as illustrated on the Artsoft tutorial.

I now find that when I attempt to Jog the DRO'S indicate movement, All seems good to this stage, When I power up the driver and attempt to jog the machine i get no movement on any of the axis, the dro's still indicate movement. The "Y" Axis motor however, makes a noise as if the motor attachment to the the lead screw is slipping and it seems as if it tries to jog but no movement is achieved just this grinding noise, this is as I said earlier, only on the "Y" axis.

Can any on offer any clues on what I need to do to get this machine jogging and performing as it should?

Thank you for any advice any one can offer me.

Lou

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 04:24:03 AM »
Hi Lou,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds to me like your motor tuning may need adjustment.
In Config / Motor tuning - set your velocity to something like 1000 mm/min and use the up/down arrow keys to test the setting. if it then works, save the setting and proceed to the next axis.
Once all axis are working then you can fine tune the Velocity and Acceleration settings of each axis for best performance / reliability.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE