Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 02:40:54 PM

Author Topic: Noobie here, thanks in advance for the nice RTFM  (Read 12728 times)

Noobie here, thanks in advance for the nice RTFM
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
For some reason, Lazycam keeps "blending" the Z axis with circle cutting in the X and Y.
I'm trying to make flat parts from 1/4" lexan, but lazycam insists on adding the Z axis the the circular interpolation.  Instead of circular cutouts, I'm getting sloped semicircles. Even after I set the depth of EVERY chain, it just ignores the settings.

I have reinstalled this thing more than once now.

I'm new. I've read what I can grasp of the "manual" for lazycam and I'm missing the part where it can't make flat parts.
Being a newbie, I have to assume there is some simple setting that I can't find or some vernacular I don't understand.

What is "lead in", btw?

Help?

OH... and one more thing.  I'm a bit dyslexic and it would help if someone had a FREE g-code reader/editor that printed various lines in different colors.  Have a look at http://www.cncezpro.com/g73m.cfm
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:49:26 PM by garym1957 »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Noobie here, thanks in advance for the nice RTFM
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 06:40:35 AM »
Gary,
What is "lead in", btw?
Lead in / lead out provides a movement of the cutter into the material other than just plunging down into it.
There are numerous options which you can select.  Lead in/ out is required on the approach and exit when using cutter offset compensation
but can be appied to offsetting allowing for improved machining of the piece.

a FREE g-code reader/editor that printed various lines in different colors
Not aware of a free one

Can you post the LCAM file from LC?

RICH
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »
Yes, thanks very much for looking at this.

Here is the lcam file and the original drawing DXF.  

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:51:09 PM by garym1957 »
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:37:49 PM »
Okay, I guess I dont know how to post files in here so...

http://www.poolsidechat.com/robo_parts.LCam

http://www.poolsidechat.com/robo_parts.DXF
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »
Gary,
What is "lead in", btw?
Lead in / lead out provides a movement of the cutter into the material other than just plunging down into it.
There are numerous options which you can select.  Lead in/ out is required on the approach and exit when using cutter offset compensation
but can be appied to offsetting allowing for improved machining of the piece.

I have no idea what any of that means.  But what I do know is, I want to plunge straight down into the part so I can go about the task of cutting flat parts.  I notice the video intro to Lcam appears to be a diff version of the LCam I just received. There is a layers tab rather than a group tab.  On the left of the Layers tab, there is a place to set Lead In.  I'm not sure if this is what I'm supposed to be adjusting, but it doesn't appear to work anyway. Regardless of the settings, they always go back to some default.     

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:33:51 PM »
Gary,
Have you looked at the LC Manual which can be found in Members Doc's?

Nothing wrong with the dxf.
LC does have a default setting. If you do not select what you want to machine, define a tool or any of the settings in the layers tab on the bottom of the screen, it will generate code for whatever is shown in the graphics area and the Z retract will be +1 and the Z will then stop at 0.

Under the Tools> Loading option you have a choice to automaticaly add lead-in's if you so desire. If you don't have that checked or later add  them to a machining operation, then LC will just plunge straight into the material.

If you want to cut out the parts exactly at / on what is the drawn line drawn then you can just define the Cut in layers to get the desired depth.
If you want to cut to depth multiple times then you need to define a tool and it's associated parameters...one of which is Per Pass which is the max cut depth for a pass.

If you want to cut away from the drawn line by some distance then you need to create an offset. A license is required to do offsets.

Have a read of the manual and also look at the tutorials.

RICH
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »

NOTHING STICKS.  Is that a feature?

Nothing stays selected.

Under tools > Turn off all leadins   (I want to do this, right?  There is no "Tools>Loading options")  But it appears to do nothing. All layer's z remains set to +1 or 0.  AFTER I  set the depth to -0.275

Clicking send to all layers is a Fisher Price knob.  It appears to do nothing although it reports that it has.   And every tool I have defined keeps disappearing.

I'm sorry. I'm dyslexic.    IS there or ISN'T there a button that tells the program to just leave Z alone?  What is is called and where is it?

I find it interesting that this blending of all 3 axis only happens when i cut arcs.  I have no problem cutting straight lines.

Failing that, where can a buy a g-code generator that works and has a sensible user interface?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:41:29 PM by garym1957 »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:17:32 PM »
What version of Mach and Lazycam are you using?
(For LC click Help, select Lazycam, you should be using Version 3.00.2)
Where did you get LazyCam from?
Did you download it from this site?

There is no "Tools>Loading options"
Sorry about that, should have said  "SETUP"

leadins...But it appears to do nothing.
Not true. Load a file with it checked and try loading a file with it ounchecked and you will see the difference.

Clicking send to all layers is a Fisher Price knob.
Is that what you see on your screen,ie; a Fisher Price Knob?
You didn't look at the manual, else, you wouldn't be saying that.

It appears to do nothing although it reports that it has.
Not true. If you take the time to look at page 122 in the manual you will find a listing of every know
problem that I am aware.

And every tool I have defined keeps disappearing.

See page 25 section 8.3.2 make sure you click OK.

I'm sorry. I'm dyslexic.
If possible have someone sit down with you and read the manual and they can tell exactly what to
do. BTW , nothing to worry about as i can only write.

IS there or ISN'T there a button that tells the program to just leave Z alone?  What is is called and where is it?
No there is no magic button. When you machine something with LC or any other program you need to define
 how the Z axis  will be applied to the machining task.You can't just leave Z alone in LC or else it will use the default
 values that i talked about in reply #5. See page 100 and 101and pay attention to T6-Figure 4.

I find it interesting that this blending of all 3 axis only happens when i cut arcs.
All depends on what the code calls for.

Failing that, where can a buy a g-code generator that works and has a sensible user interface?

Lazycam is a Beta product that does work within it's definition see page 5 & 6  in the manual.
The user should  read the manual and not hack at it. CNC is not plug and play no matter what program is used.
 Suggest you start trying the numerous  programs out there and decide for yourself what
 is the most appropriate program for what you intend on doing now and in the future.

RICH
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
I just downloaded yours from this site.  The chinese machine I got came with some really messed up versions of your software, so  
I reformatted the drive, reinstalled WinXP SP2 and installed the code from here. Licensed to Binary Farm (me).

It looks like the official manual link isnt working -  and people have mentioned that in the forums.  What I read was a user-submitted file (I think) on CNCZone and I did watch the Fine Movie about the basic setups of LCam but there nothing in there to tell it to stop screwing with my z axis.  And it looks different than the copy I have.

Where is the official manual? http://www.machsupport.com/docs/LazyCam_Post_Docs.zip doesn't work.

The version of LCam I have is 300.2 copyright from 2007.  

For what its worth, I have been critical of LCam because I dont understand it and htere is no onboard help system.   This irks me because I design user interfaces for a living *S*

However... Mach3 is great... and is worth every penny.  I have exquisite control over my machine and am discovering new tricks I can make it do every day.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:12:47 PM by garym1957 »
Re: Progress!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »
Yes, you are right.  Clicking something or other has made LC start saving values. Load Options I think.  I turned off all lead ins.

So a lead in as I've been complaining about, cutting a circle, for example... the Z will gradually cut downward while the I J stuff runs the X Y in a circle?   I have observed a "corkscrew" movement when this happens.  I do this with Z set impossibly high so as not to ruin my spoil board.       Its definately trying to spiral down, rather than plunge into the part.

I would guess this kind of operation makes a cleaner hole?

Thank you very much for your help.   Again your link to the LCam manual DOES NOT WORK.  Please try it after emptying your cache. Or try it with the latest FireFox.

Could you email it to me?   garym@binaryfarm.com
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:48:20 PM by garym1957 »