Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 04:31:58 AM

Author Topic: New Guy with an Old Question  (Read 13762 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: New Guy with an Old Question
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 10:55:03 AM »
Jr Sample's used car lot. Call me at BR549.

Part of what you are seeing on yout tormach setup is the way te NFW was written long ago.

Try this open the nfw and go directly to the drill function. Set up a simple test troutine. NOW use the preveiw button does your M3s### numbers and tool change show up there?  Make sure you have data in all the tool setup fields. AND don't use tool(0). Make sure you checked direction for the spindle. AND make SURE the tool number you used has a value to the diam or just assign one.

NOW if you go back and do it again you MAY not see the M# and T# in the new code. That is one of the quirks you have to learn to deal with until they get fixed. In the way teh NFW deals with mulit jobs may effect HOW it does single jobs SOMETIMES.

The NFW does have some quirks to get used to. Could use some updating to make it a bit more useful in some areas. BUT it does work

Note : It is a LOT better than it used to be as far as quirks RON has been doing a fine job slowly but surely getting it updated. Part of the slow down is the complex way it was coded from the begginning.

Good Job Ron

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:01:45 AM by BR549 »
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Yea: that's the one.  Jr. Samples.  Call BR549

I understand what you're getting at with your suggestion.  It makes sense and I have done those things you've listed.

On my initial go-round I was having problems with just a couple of the wizards.  The rest of them work just fine.

I can press the preview button and I do get a list of the code but, that code does not include the M-code for the tool change or the G-Code for the "S" spindle speed.

This time around, with one particular wizard, I can't get past the materials selection page.

I'll be talking to someone I'm certain can help me out with this.   I'll be back to give an update later.

I think I finally got my CAD software issues ironed out and now it appears that these wizard setbacks
are slowly coming together as well.  I look forward to being able to use my mill to actually make
my first part next week.

Things are looking up.

MetalShavings
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 03:12:22 PM »
All Is Right With The World Again.

I had the good fortune of being able to talk at length with someone far more familiar
with these wizards than I could ever aspire to be.

Initial reviews of my install procedure and my own attempts to try to fix these problems myself
left us both stumped.  Further discussions pointed to having both the old and the new
version of the NewFangled suit of wizards present in the same folder.

It would be better for me to leave it to the experts to explain it correctly but, since I was the whiner
that came her with the problems I feel a certain amount of obligation to try to explain what appeared to
be the cause of the issues I was having.

I ended up keeping the old and the new NewFangled suit folders in the "Addons" folder side by side.
In order to get the latest version to work properly I had to change the name of the old version.  I simply changed
the name to "Old Version."

The name of the new version had to be changed as well.  In this case the change was very minor.  All I did was remove
the three numbers following the name, "NewFangled;" exactly as is instructed in the install procedures listed in one of
post on this forum.

Here's where it gets confusing to me and a description from an expert would be better.  As I understood it, the information
needing to be retrieved from the NewFangled folders in order to carry out certain functions was being hindered somehow
by having both the old and new versions of the NewFangled suits with similar titles.  I think.  Just trying to describe it make
me even more confused.

The only way I could get the new version to appear to work was to leave both the old and new version in the "Addons" folder together.
In order to retrieve the information it needed to carry out certain functions, the NewFangled software was designed to search for that information
in a folder titled "NewFangled."

When I attempted to use the latest version of the NewFangled Wizards suit, and that software went searching for "certain information,"
it would search for that "certain information" in the folder of that old version of the NewFangled software because it was titled "NewFangled."
The latest version of the NewFangled wizards software wouldn't search its own folder for the information it needed because it was titled "NewFangled289;" or something like that.

I'm still kind of baffled by it all.

I'm just grateful to finally get it figured out and working properly.  Now I can move on to breaking some tools and making some
metal shavings.

Many thanks to all who offered up support and just took the time to reply.

MetalShavings

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »
I will try to set this straight.

When I make a distribution kit for a new version it gets names with the version numbers appended, like Newfangled286.

If you just let unzip do its thing you wind up with a folder Addons\Newfangled286.

But some of the wizard data, like the Materials.txt data and the help files are hard coded inside the wizard to look in Addons\Newfangled. So if you leave the 286 on the name it doesnt find the files.

The right way is to unzip the new version. delete the old version, then rename the new to just Newfangled with no version number. If you really want to keep the old one make it something like NewfangledOLD, but remember it wont work correctly under that name.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 04:56:36 PM »
YEP that would do it.

(;-) TP
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 06:09:10 PM »
I broke my first drill bit today.

Snapped that sucker right off.

I was using the wizard that I had originally posted my inquiry about.

I was so proud of myself.  I almost went out and bought a
lottery ticket. ;D

You can't imagine how happy I am to finally get thing
going.

Thanks again everyone.  Unless I run into some other problems
I can't figure out myself you won't hear from me again.

MetalShavings