Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:36:13 AM

Author Topic: New Guy with an Old Question  (Read 13718 times)

Re: New Guy with an Old Question
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 05:09:54 PM »
Ron and Dave:

Thanks very much.  I'll give that a try.

In the mean time I was able to get a copy of the G-Code.  I'll post it here while I look into doing the Screen Shot.

I should mention that the part I was testing was a piece of aluminum 1 1/4"x 6" x .75".  I was using a small Centering
drill to peck some shallow holes.  This wasn't a part of any importance.  I just wanted to check my theory of what I may
have done wrong to cause the problems listed in my initial post.

Be back soon.

Tim M.

MetalShavings

(Code by Newfangled Wizard, 10/13/2011)
(Program Posted for Aluminum )
G0 G49 G40.1 G17
G80 G50 G90 G98  
G20 (Inch)
(***** Drill Hole Positions *****)
G00  Z0.15
G81 X0.5 Y0.625 Z-0.2 R0.15 F4
 X1 Y0.625
 X1.5 Y0.625
 X2 Y0.625
 X2.5 Y0.625
G80
M5 M9
M30
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:12:59 PM by MetalShavings »
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »
OK, here we go:

I let the Wizard calculate the speeds and feeds and chip loads on this.   The image shows the "Drill Cycle" chosen.  I actually tried to generate G-Code with both of the other icons individually selected just to see if it would make any difference in the outcome of the G-Code.

It didn't seem to make any difference.  I got basically the same G-Code that I posted above.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 09:26:07 PM »
Ok, the screen shot helped. You are running an old versiion- 2.79 The current is 2.86

See the first topic in this section for the latest version and how to download it.

You also must be using tool number 0. The wizard didnt put in tool changes if it thinks you are suing the same tool as the last operation- you already have the tool, so you dont need to change. But that got confused in tool 0.

I made some fixes on that stuff a while back.

I think if you use a tool number other than zero you will get the tool change and M3 S********* code properly in your code.

For this drilling job my new DrillWiz would be a much neater solution. See the announcement topic in this section.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:28:18 PM by Ron Ginger »
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »
Hi Ron:

I do recall reading about the tool numbers thing and in fact, in one of my attempts to get this to work I did use the number zero and since I couldn't get it to work I tried leaving the default number in place.

The screen shot you see here is one that I got off my laptop.  I've had it for some time and you're right about it being an older version.

My initial two failures to get this to work were with what I assumed was the latest version that came with my new Tormach milling
package.

I figured I'd get the screen shot from my laptops' version of Mach3 using the same NewFangled wizards since they were both displaying
the very same symptoms.  Neither version would put out G-Code containing those elements of the code that would allow for
successful hole drilling.

In any event, I'll go back and re-check the information you've just given me.  It could be that I just made another self induced error.  I'll also check out the "DrillWiz" that you mentioned.

Thanks Ron.

Tim M.
MetalShavings
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
Hi again Ron:

I read your previous post about the latest version of the NewFangled Solution wizards. 

Where exactly do I find the 2.86 version.  The only one I can seem to find listed on the download
page is the 2.79 version.

Is is possible to just download the latest version and use the same license I purchased for my
present version or am I going to have to pay for a whole new suit?

The answers to my own questions are probably looking me right in the face but I can't seem to
see them.

Tim M.
MetalShavings

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 03:05:54 PM »
Where exactly do I find the 2.86 version.  The only one I can seem to find listed on the download
page is the 2.79 version.

Here ya go Tim:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,18321.0.html

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 04:33:36 PM »
Thanks budman:

As I suspected, the answer was looking me right in the face.  I found it shortly after my last post.

I uninstalled my existing version of this software and installed the newly downloaded version.

Following is an example of the G-Code that this same wizard is outputting.  It's still not giving me
those elements of the G-Code to activate my spindle or tool change.

If any of you guys haven't already done so, can you enter the same numbers into your hole wizard and
show me what you come up with.  If your existing NewFangled Multiple-Hole-Wizard produces usable code
I'll be completely baffled.

It would be nice to see what it looks like when it's produced correctly and completely.

Here's what I'm getting below.   The actual tool-path appears to be spot-on.  It's the spindle speed and tool change code that appears to be missing.

In leu of getting the correct or complete G-Code from this particular wizard, if I were to manually edit my existing code can you
tell me how and where exactly to enter this code that's missing?  I think I already know the answer to my last question but I just want to
confirm. Thanks.

(Code by Newfangled Wizard, 10/14/2011)
(Program Posted for Aluminum )
G0 G49 G40.1 G17
G80 G50 G90 G98 
G20 (Inch)
G00  Z0.15
G73 X0.5 Y0.625 Z-0.2 Q0.05 R0.15 F20
 X1 Y0.625
 X1.5 Y0.625
 X2 Y0.625
 X2.5 Y0.625
G80
M5 M9
M30
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »
OK:

Here's where I'm at right now with the download of the latest version of the NewFangled Wizard suit.

Downloading it was a breeze, Loading as described, onto my computer was also a breeze but, getting it to
work is just not happening. (this is on my CNC mills' computer driver.

The latest version comes up clear enough on the wizards menu but I can't get past the first page of the "Multiple Holes" wizard. (Materials Selection page)  When I push the "Continue" button nothing happens.  When I push the "Materials" button noting happens.  I can fill in the numbers fields but that's all.

In order to get out of that wizard screen I have to shut down the Mach3 session, then open it back up again if I want to continue to do any work in Mach3.

I thought maybe if I removed the old NewFangled wizard suit it would allow the newly downloaded NewFangled wizard suit to take over and function properly.
That didn't work either.

When I opened up both the old and the new NewFangled folders to take a look inside, I noticed the the new one has a couple more files inside of it than the old NewFangled suit folder.  Don't know if that makes any difference.  I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling this latest version  three different times with no luck.

Out of frustration I then tried doing the same thing with the laptop I mentioned in one of my previous replies.  That didn't work either so I decided to uninstall the Mach3 software altogether and reinstall the latest demo version in its place.  (I'm talking about my old laptop; not my mills' computer driver)  I installed the newly uploaded version of the NewFangled wizards immediately after the Mach3 install.  It still didn't work.  I couldn't get past the "Materials Selection" page of the wizard I mentioned above.

Fortunately I hadn't deleted the imbedded version of the NewFangled wizards that came with the newly installed Mach3 software.  I had just moved it out of the "Addons" folder and onto the desktop while I tested the latest version.

When I put the original embedded NewFangled version back into the "Addons" folder along side the latest version.  It seemed to work.  I mean, I was able to generate usable G-Code with the wizard in question. 

I then proceeded removed the original embedded version from the "Addons" file again just to see if the newly installed latest version would work but, again, it wouldn't allow me to get past the "Materials" selection page.  I had to put the original embedded version of the NewFangled Wizards suit back into the "Addons" folder along with the latest version in order to get that latest version to work.

In the last four weeks I've been dealing with all kinds of different software and computer issues that's enough to shorten anybodies life span.  Admittedly, a good portion of those problems are caused by User error or User Ignorance.  Then there are those that I believe to be software issues.  I'm still dealing with some of those problems as I try to figure out these wizard setbacks.

I think I mentioned this in one of my previous replies: the main reason I decided to buy the NewFangled license was so I could actually use my mill while I was trying to get a handle on the CAM software that came with this package.  For me, the learning curve of that CAM software is steeper than it has a right to be.  Either that or I'm dumber than I got a right to be.  (I heard that!)

While I struggle to learn the workings of that software, I figured I could use these wizard to get me by.  Wouldn't you know it; it's the wizards that I needed the most that I've encountered these little setbacks with.

The fact that I'm a Mac computer user rather than a Windows based computer user only adds to my confusion and frustration.

Can one of you guys offer up some possible reasons for these glitches?  Theres bound to be simple fixes for someone who knows what they're doing.  I clearly do not know what I'm doing.

Since the computer on my mill has been configured at the factory to run with the version of Mach3 that it presently has installed, I'm reluctant to
remove that version and install the latest version for fear of just adding problems on top of problems; just so I can get a couple of these wizard to work for me.

If worse comes to worse I can use my laptop to generate the G-Code I need from these wizards but, it would be a whole lot more convenient if I could get them to
work as they should on my mills' computer.

Thanks for letting me vent.  I feel better now.

Tim M.
MetalShavings

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 08:50:52 PM »
(Code by Newfangled Wizard, 10/13/2011)
(Program Posted for Steel )
G0 G49 G40.1 G17
G80 G50 G90 G98 
G20 (Inch)
M6 T7
M03 S2500
M8
G00 G43 H7 Z0.5
G83 X1 Y0 Z-0.25 Q0.02 R0.10 F6.60
X0.00 Y1.00
X2.00 Y0.00
X0.00 Y2.00
G80
M5 M9
M30
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »
Thanks BR549:

That's excellent.  Except for the metal type, this is the kind of G-Code my laptop is now able to generate.

It will be just a little longer till I can get things squared away so that the wizards on my Mills' computer
will do the same.

It's slowly coming together.

Off the subject;  Back in the day, there used to be a program on TV called HeeHaw.  It featured some characters that would use
the same letters and numbers of your user name as their telephone number.  I recall these characters saying in their comedy skits,
"Call BR549."  It was funnier when they did it though.

Funny how certain things bring back certain memories.  Just curious if the username you selected had anything to do with that program?

MetalShavings