Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 08:13:04 PM

Author Topic: Help getting MACH3 working  (Read 16444 times)

Re: Help getting MACH3 working
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »
Fastest1:   Thanks for the link, I will certainly use that list to optimize my CPU.

Rich:   Thanks for the response, I would very much like to be able to open Ports and Pins and understand why I am clicking any button on or off, is there any standard or help for properly setting the Ports and Pins and especially tuning the motors, I do not know enough about the sliders to make my actions relevant when I adjust them. I will work diligently to read and understand this information before proceeding
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
I will let you know how the optimization works out tonight.
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »
In all the information I wrote I never said anything about the CNC machine I have. It is a FIne Line Automation 2x3' CNC Router setup. I am usings a Gecko 540 4 axis controller, the motors are NEMA 23 380oz in stepper motors... if any of that helps.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Help getting MACH3 working
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »
Cncdaddy, this is quite normal and anyone setting up a machine for their first, second or third machine build will still need a refresher on a few settings before everything is tuned well. That being said, once you get the basic settings of the pins for each stepper and it's direction of travel set correctly then motor tuning will come into play. I did not use the XML reader to analyze your file. I have never used it personally but I guess I should have. I did download the reader though. During the set up of your port and pins all of your port settings will be "1" unless your have 2 Parallel Ports. That will have to be entered and saved for each axis.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
Side note: At what point would I have to declare what units I am using (inches versus metric).

The file I got from another person that I was going to use was in metric...I'm sure ports and pins are not affected however I want to operate in SAE (inches mode).

I'm going to try to optimize my PC tonight.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 05:30:53 PM »
Have a look at the Mach manual as it describes how to calculate the steps per unit. You can also use the axis calibration feature under the F6 tab.
There is a spread sheet in the Tool Box if you want to use a spread sheet to calculated the steps per unit. 
Mach needs to know which pins  of the PP port are associated with what axis in order to send the signal out to the proper place.Additionaly
the active state ( high or low needs to be set ). Then you set the velocity , acceleration, etc for each axis. All in the manual.
RICH
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 01:07:47 AM »
Rich, should the cpu be set to EPP or Normal? I still do not have any action when I try to jog the CNC around.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 06:18:16 AM »

Go to the folder you installed Mach and click on the file named DRIVERTEST.EXE to install the driver and  let it run.

Ports and pins:
1.Port Setup - enable the port that you will use by checking the box "Port Enabled"
2.Motor Outputs - i assume that you have enabled them and defined dir & step state
3.  Will assume you have no input signals / output signals / encoder / spindle setup requiring congfig
Motor Tuning:
1.Fill in the boxes for each axis for steps per, velocity, accel, and for now use a value of 4 for step & dir pulse time
How to figure has already been posted
System Hotkeys:
1.Click the axis button and then hit a key on the keyboard you will use to jog the machine. You need to do that for each key you will use in jogging.

Save Settings

Click the Reset Button if it is flashing. Then hit the click the Jog button ( tool information ) to turn on jogging.
Now hit the  TAB key and use the axis butttons to jog the Machine.

Go through all of the above. Try jogging and also post you xml file when you are done.

RICH
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:25:37 AM by RICH »
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »
I will give it a shot tomorrow, thanks
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »
Rich:
I have been out of the loop for a couple days, but that has not helped my frustration. I did contact the Gecko guys and they had an XML file for me to use, I installed it and I did get the CNC to Jog. Unfortunately it only added to my frustration/confusion. I am looking at your list and I am not sure of exactly where I would find:
•   Port setup, I do not know where the “Port Enable” box is, is it called something else? Is there an example somewhere?
•   I’m pretty sure the Motor outputs are working since I was able to Jog
•   Since this stuff is still “Russian” to me I have not yet figured out the Steps, velocity, accel etc. I am reading the book, pages 5-16 – 5-19 to use as a guide.
•   Where is the AXIS button? This step should be done after the previous steps?
•   I have posted my current XML file
I did select “Ref All Home” and it slowly went jogged through the X & Y Axis until it was parked in the corner.
 I still do not have a table out line showing up in the display yet
I wish all of this just worked and my learning curve was spent on G-code and running files and learning
V-Carve Pro, I guess this is where baby steps come into play.